cowspot83

Antique doctor bag- beyond repair? Know anyone who can fix it?

Hi, 

I apologize, I have no idea where to even ask- can this bag be repaired? Can the leather be replaced and original hardware used? It’s in worse shape than it appears in the picture. I can’t find anyone local and internet searches only turn up purse and shoe repair type places. I am hoping someone on this forum might know the right person/place to take it to have it restored/repaired? Thank you so much for your time and recommendations!!! 

35F54DA0-B6C3-4440-8F3A-B9937BA85B83.jpeg

If anyone can fix it, I would say Steve at Bedo's Leatherworks.

He loves these projects, but he's not cheap.

http://www.leatherrepair.com/

10 hours ago, cowspot83 said:

Hi, 

I apologize, I have no idea where to even ask- can this bag be repaired? Can the leather be replaced and original hardware used? It’s in worse shape than it appears in the picture. I can’t find anyone local and internet searches only turn up purse and shoe repair type places. I am hoping someone on this forum might know the right person/place to take it to have it restored/repaired? Thank you so much for your time and recommendations!!! 

a. You don't say where in the world you are and that would help us to advise you

b, general advice would be to ask around your locality if anyone knows a leather worker. Don't ask at a shoe-repair shop as they think leather workers are competition, ask at a clothes repair or even a dry-cleaners shop

c. a repair is to fix an item keeping what it has, you are asking for a rebuild. It might be cheaper in money just to buy a new one. If it is of special sentimental value then it should be repaired with very little replaced. (Trigger's Broom syndrome)

Edited by fredk

I second Steve at Bedo’s. This is right in his wheelhouse. 

Thank you! I am in Texas, haven’t had any luck locally, everyone here makes saddles, boots, and belts :) It has sentimental value but I do need it to function. I’ll check out Steve! Thank you!!! 

Have you asked any of the local shoe/boot repair shops? Coming from a family that runs one, we have fixed a lot more things than just shoes. And we have never seen leather workers as competition. If you're in Texas there may be a saddle shop that can restore it. 

Don Gonzales' DG Saddlery also does repairs. He's in College Station area.