Magni1078

How to do this coloring and tooling

Hello everyone I'm a fairly new Leatherworker and have made an assortment of items for friends and family.   I have a Coworker who has been in the Air Force for 32 years and is retiring this December.  I would really like to make him an Old West cowboy holster

for his Heritage 22.  He wants some tooling work on it and I Have an image of what he gave me he wants it too look like.  I'm just trying to figure out how to accomplish the color and the tooling of the words.  Any advice and guidance would be helpful thanks.

Magni

We-the-People-Patriot-2.jpg

the coloring looks like air brush work to me with three colors of brown, tan and natural. I cant tell how the words were done maybe branded in or stamped then burned or dyed with a small brush

Edited by chuck123wapati

Awesome looking holster.  Colors are great and it looks like the fit and finish are top notch.

15 hours ago, Magni1078 said:

I'm just trying to figure out how to accomplish ... the tooling of the words.

The words look to be etched with a laser cutter.

Beautiful holster.  

Do a search for "we the people" font.  Print it out and size it with your printer or computer to the size you need.  Cover the back side of paper with clear packaging tape (template).  Dapen the leather.  Place the template on the wet leather and trace it with a stylus or ball point pen.  Cut the impressions made by the ball point pen with your swivel knife then bevel around the cuts.  If you want the letters to be below the rest of the leather then you'd have to background it down.

Thats the way I'd have to do it.

Scootch