toxo

Repairing a camel leather pouffe.

My cousin has asked me to refurb her late fathers camel leather pouffe which originated in Zambia many years ago. I haven't seen it yet but apparently it's the worse for wear and the stitching has gone in places. I'm thinking I can unpick  and glue in some reinforcing around the stitch line and treat the outside to a good feed. What the best treatment/product for the outside, preferably something that won't darken it too much?

How about 'Mink Oil' cream? or just good 'ole beeswax/nfo mix?

16 minutes ago, fredk said:

How about 'Mink Oil' cream? or just good 'ole beeswax/nfo mix?

Won't know how bad it is until I see it Fred. I know nfo tends to darken, never used mink. Years ago I had some jars of a white cream that was labeled "Leather food". It was for leather clothing. I have no clue what was in it but as far as I can recall it left no residue or colour. I still have a jar somewhere. I'll try to find it.

lanolin or shea oil.

lanolin or shea oil.

You could use too neatsfoot oil but the odor is special.

My better half brought this from Tescos works for me and not to expensive

https://www.diy.com/departments/lord-sheraton-leather-balsam-75-ml/258767_BQ.prd?rrec=true

Hope this helps

JCUK

I found my "Leather Food" , a white cream in a glass jar that smells like shoe polish.Won't hurt to try a patch when I do get my hands on the pouffe.

JCUK: You said Tesco but showed B&Q? Do they sell it in both?

For you guys who mix your own, Has anyone tried mixing in a few drops of essential oils to make it smell nice?

Other half said she has not seen anymore jars is Tescos  since, that's why i sent B&Q link.

Do you know the show The Repair Shop, if you do there is a episode show a repair on a leather Pouffe you maybe interested in on the BBC player

Edited by jcuk

2 minutes ago, jcuk said:

Other half said she has not seen anymore jars is Tescos  since, that's why i sent B&Q link.

Did it smell like shoe polish?

No

1 hour ago, toxo said:

For you guys who mix your own, Has anyone tried mixing in a few drops of essential oils to make it smell nice?

Kinda, sort-of, yes. I used to mix some lavender oil into my beeswax/carnauba/nfo soft mix. A lady gardener used to order it from me. She used some of the regular mix on her leather goods and found that mix helped her dried chapped hands so she asked if I could mix some with essential oils in it to make it smell nice. Thus I added essential lavender oil into it and not only she bought it but I used to sell it in 50ml tins, mainly to other gardeners but other 'house wife' types and car mechanics.

I checked with a university chemistry professor friend of mine about the mix and he checked and said that as they were all natural products which we use anyway all was fine. Local Trading Standards got a tin to test and never came back to me to tell me to stop.

1 hour ago, fredk said:

Kinda, sort-of, yes. I used to mix some lavender oil into my beeswax/carnauba/nfo soft mix. A lady gardener used to order it from me. She used some of the regular mix on her leather goods and found that mix helped her dried chapped hands so she asked if I could mix some with essential oils in it to make it smell nice. Thus I added essential lavender oil into it and not only she bought it but I used to sell it in 50ml tins, mainly to other gardeners but other 'house wife' types and car mechanics.

I checked with a university chemistry professor friend of mine about the mix and he checked and said that as they were all natural products which we use anyway all was fine. Local Trading Standards got a tin to test and never came back to me to tell me to stop.

You entrepreneur you! ;)