JJN

Newly Aquired Adler 30-15 Need a Manual Needles and Bobbins

I just bought this Adler 30-15 I found on Craigslist. It is 500 miles away from me so I had a friend who lives in the same town pick it up for me. I'll get it in about a month. It looks really nice from the photos. It does not have the treadle table so any ideas of how to set it up will help. I am looking for a manual and information about the needle system. I also want to pick up some bobbins. Any help getting this information will be appreciated.

adler-01.jpg

adler-02.jpg

Here are 3 manuals covering various sub-classes of the Adler CLass 30. I think that the 30-15 is a short arm, large bobbin model that probably uses System 332 needles. Those are similar to the Singer 29x3 and 29x4 patcher needles. Nowadays, most of us use System 135x16 and 135x17 needles that have a cutout scarf above the eye, I have a 30-7 that uses a longer System 332LLG needle. I don't think your machine uses those needles.

adler_30_-10-50-70.pdf Adler_30_Instruction_Manual.pdf adler30servicemanualpdf.pdf

30-15 is a small bobbin machine. The large bobbin / short arm was the 30-17 which is rare! Bobbin and shuttle hooks for the 30-15 are the same as for the 29K models. Part numbers are 8604 (bobbin) and 8603 (shuttle).

@Wizcrafts, thanks for the manuals. I will have time to read them before I pick it up. I will change the needle bar height to use 135x16 needles. Thanks for the tip!

@Constabulary, Thanks for the clarification of the subclasses and parts cross reference. At first I thought it might be a large bobbin because I read an earlier thread on here where Cowboy Bob said it was a large bobbin. I later read a very good post you wrote where you explained the differences of the subclasses of the Singer 29, the Adler 30 and the Claes 10 20 & 30. I like the short arm of this machine and the small bobbin will work just fine for my limited uses for this machine. A big bobbin would have been a real bonus though. Bobbins and shuttles should be easy to find.

It looks like I can move the hand wheel to the front with no problems. Does the bobbin winder move to the front position also?

I think it was a good deal at $200.

Is there a resource to look up the year by serial number? This machine is sn 101390.

20 minutes ago, JJN said:

It looks like I can move the hand wheel to the front with no problems. Does the bobbin winder move to the front position also?

Yes, you must move the bobbin winder so it fits under the hand wheel, which drives it. There is a drive release lever on the hand wheel that lets you load the bobbin without driving the shuttle or top end. You can use the front mounted tension disks to tension the bobbin thread while winding them. Otherwise, those disks can be used for darning.

Ha - $200 is a steal - well done! Yeah, large bobbin is what I would like for my 29K71 short arm  too but I'm barely using the machine, so I can live with it.

There is no source for the Adler serial numbers but I'm sure yours is from the 1950´s - 1960´s.

Machine made in the 50's and early 60's as Constablulary said .  I have the parts list for a 30-15.  It has a 14.5" arm compared to a 12" arm on a Singer short arm.  It would probably fit on a singer short arm treadle.  I prefer to put them on a modern off the arm table with a servo and speed reducer.   I have 2 treadle Adler tables for yours but I also 2 30-15 machines to rebuild that goes on these tables.  Definitely put the wheel on the front.  I also have 30-1,5,7 15 operations manuals.  You can use 135x17 or x16 needles on this machine.   contact me and I can help you.  the one thing you may need is a bobbin winder reel holder which is what Adler calls the tension rig for winding a bobbin.  I have these new and complete.

glenn

Edited by shoepatcher

@shoepatcher, thanks for the info. I think I will cut down a standard industrial table to about half size and mount it with a servo. I read about adjusting the needle bar in the manual. It uses an eccentric pivot shaft on the upper crane to do it. Is there enough adjustment to use the 135x16 needles? Or is there another method to change the needle bar height. What is a bobbin winder reel holder/tension rig? Do you have a photo?

the 135 x 17 or 16 for leather is the same specs as a 332 needle system or 29x3, 4.   More common and comes in titanium coating.  send me an email and i can send you pics.

glenn

Where is the best place to order parts, needles, extra bobbins etc? Also I have a bunch of thread leftover from the pos Boss handsitcher is there a way to use that? 100% newbie to these machines so feel free to give me some schooling!! Thanks in advance!!

Ox

1 hour ago, boarlord said:

Where is the best place to order parts, needles, extra bobbins etc? Also I have a bunch of thread leftover from the pos Boss handsitcher is there a way to use that? 100% newbie to these machines so feel free to give me some schooling!! Thanks in advance!!

Ox

@boarlord, you didn't state what make and model your patcher is? Parts and accessories vary with the make and model.

The Boss hand operated stitchers normally use thicker thread than any patcher can handle. The largest thread I've used in my Adler 30-7 is #138, The small bobbin Singer patchers are best limited to #69 and 92 bonded thread.

Parts are available in the aftermarket supply chain (e.g., Amazon, eBay, Etsy), and from established industrial sewing machine dealers, like this one. We also have a member who goes by @shoepatcherwho has parts for Singer, Adler, and Claes patchers.

30-15 sorry!!

I have bobbins and hooks.  Needles you can get from Bob Kovar at Toledo Sewing.

glenn