Joshstrange

Cowboy 4500 foot lift

I have a cowboy 4500 and i believe that they have 7/8 in lift in the foot.  I am using the standard needle plate with feed dog.  I tried to sew a sheath that was 5/8 thick and i had to jam it under the foot and it sewed it just fine but that foot would not go up anymore.  Is there some kind of adjustment i can make to get the extra little bit of lift.  Thanks for your help.

40 minutes ago, Joshstrange said:

I have a cowboy 4500 and i believe that they have 7/8 in lift in the foot.

Actually, the specs call for a maximum foot lift of 1.25 inches. Your machine is out of adjustment if you can't lift the feet over an inch. Make sure that the foot lifter pedal chain has a minimum amount of slack and can travel from fully up to fully down.

On mine, which I've had for 6-7 months (?) the fitting on the top of the head, where the arm operated by the lifting chain fits in, is designed such that it's impossible to get more than 7/8" of lift without modifying this bracket. I spent some time fiddling, trying to get more lift but couldn't.

Unfortunately I can't get down to it to take photos or get the book for part numbers because I've torn the ligaments in my left ankle and will be immobile for quite a few weeks.:( No leatherwork, reloading, shooting, lathe work, 3D printing - can't get to anything, nothing but the computer, tv and reading.

6 hours ago, Joshstrange said:

I have a cowboy 4500 and i believe that they have 7/8 in lift in the foot.  I am using the standard needle plate with feed dog.  I tried to sew a sheath that was 5/8 thick and i had to jam it under the foot and it sewed it just fine but that foot would not go up anymore.  Is there some kind of adjustment i can make to get the extra little bit of lift.  Thanks for your help.

It is possible with using just the hand lifter that your not getting the full lift,for max lift you need to use the foot lifter & make sure there isn't much slack in the chain.

On 9/2/2020 at 11:34 PM, Wizcrafts said:

Actually, the specs call for a maximum foot lift of 1.25 inches. Your machine is out of adjustment if you can't lift the feet over an inch. Make sure that the foot lifter pedal chain has a minimum amount of slack and can travel from fully up to fully down.

No longer the case, Wiz.  The factory changed the bell crank mount at the top of the linkage so that the bell crank bumps a stop before going past 7/8's inch.   I have no idea why they did this, but has caused me a bucket of headaches in the last year. 

2 hours ago, SolarLeatherMachines said:

No longer the case, Wiz.  The factory changed the bell crank mount at the top of the linkage so that the bell crank bumps a stop before going past 7/8's inch.   I have no idea why they did this, but has caused me a bucket of headaches in the last year. 

Chinese improvements. Mao's Revenge!