emmanuelleather

Free Granite Slabs

There is a couple on Facebook Marketplace in the Columbus, Ohio area who are giving away Granite slabs of various sizes. I saw at least a dozen in the 18 x 24" size. They would really appreciate getting rid of them and are asking the right price; free!

I went to a local gravestone maker and he gave me a small piece from his set of samples.

Only 150 mm or 6 inches square but it's good enough for me as a beginner.

I went to a local granite shop asking if they had any cut off scrap pieces.  The salesman took me to a large bin in back with lots of slabs to choose from.  I picked up a piece 36 X 24.  I asked how much and he said nothing.  They have to pay to get ride of their scraps so it was free.  

Calling around, it seems that all the companies in town have free or very reasonable pieces to choose from.  Some are scraps and some are demo pieces that they no longer market. 

I suggest you explain you are using it for your leatherworking bench.

It would be a nice touch to give them a simple billfold or card holder as a thankyou

1 hour ago, zuludog said:

It would be a nice touch to give them a simple billfold or card holder as a thankyou

That's a great idea.  I'll make sure I go back and give them something.

I gave a $5 tip for mine

I had been hoping to find a granite slab for free and found it through craigslist. Took about a month of looking but finally found a very nice sizeable block from a small granite yard the owner had closed but left remnants outside the fence for free. 5miles and Offerup, and Facebook marketplaces would be other good sources.

One thing I did find though, is after you do find one for free, suddenly you'll find it for free everywhere for a time lol.

4 hours ago, jonlrussell said:

I had been hoping to find a granite slab for free and found it through craigslist. Took about a month of looking but finally found a very nice sizeable block from a small granite yard the owner had closed but left remnants outside the fence for free. 5miles and Offerup, and Facebook marketplaces would be other good sources.

One thing I did find though, is after you do find one for free, suddenly you'll find it for free everywhere for a time lol.

Is'nt it the way it goes, search and search nothing , then comes the avalanche :thumbsup: