Hi everybody,

what do you think is the best black dye for leather? with a very dense and deep black.

Until today I was using fiebings but since I have to restock I wanted to know if there is a better dye.

Edited by paloma

In this world of leather workers, I notice that nobody uses black dye.:o

What is 'the best'? 

What is best for me might not suit you.

I use the standard Fiebing's black dye. A couple of coats of that followed by black coloured Resolene and that followed by 1 or 2 coats of an acrylic varnish.

48 minutes ago, fredk said:

What is 'the best'? 

What is best for me might not suit you.

I use the standard Fiebing's black dye. A couple of coats of that followed by black coloured Resolene and that followed by 1 or 2 coats of an acrylic varnish.

ahh ok thanks for the tip I didn't know this procedure.

thanks fredk

This hat started out a mid-brown colour of chrome tan upholstery leather.

I cleaned down the uncut pieces with cellulose thinners which removed the top coat lacquer and some of the brown dye. I then gave it a few coats of Fiebings acrylic black dye, then a couple of coats black Resolene. After it was sewn up it got one coat of the acrylic varnish

Its a good deep black and theres been no bleed off of the dye

2090168248_Basichat3-Cropped.jpg.cc3fb5c19355ceb11fe591d1ad8a7316.jpg

very good! thanks.

My favourite dye (black or other) is fiebings pro mixed with carnauba creme.  Don't ask me the ratio, I just eyeball it and keep adding dye and stirring until the mixture is coloured enough.

This started as an experiment, and maybe it's all on my mind but I do feel the dye penetrates better and more evenly and generally I get a better result and better control of the procedure.   Plus it saves me the step of adding carnauba creme later.

Edited by Spyros

Interesting, never heard of this procedure, I will try it.

thanks!

Fiebings Pro Dye. They say "pro" is better formulated for vegtan.  I've never mixed or diluted it.

1 hour ago, Anticlimaddox said:

Fiebings Pro Dye. They say "pro" is better formulated for vegtan.  I've never mixed or diluted it.

better than USMC one?

5 hours ago, paloma said:

better than USMC one?

I think so. It seems to have better penetration without leaving a lot of stuff on the surface.

Regards,

Arturo

3 hours ago, Arturomex said:

I think so. It seems to have better penetration without leaving a lot of stuff on the surface.

Regards,

Arturo

Thanks Sir!

13 hours ago, paloma said:

better than USMC one?

I like Fiebings Pro Dye.   USMC is a royal pain to use.  Yes, it is a very deep black, but that is because it has an excess of pigment that you need to buff until your arm just about falls off.  Then you buff some more and still may not remove enough pigment to keep it from bleeding.

- Bill

2 minutes ago, billybopp said:

I like Fiebings Pro Dye.   USMC is a royal pain to use.  Yes, it is a very deep black, but that is because it has an excess of pigment that you need to buff until your arm just about falls off.  Then you buff some more and still may not remove enough pigment to keep it from bleeding.

- Bill

thank you for the advice of the procedure!:)