G'Day, I don't normally post on here, but here goes. 

The lighter is a Vintage  ' Jumbo'  Table Lighter.  Quite heavy, and works fine. The client wanted it covered in Cane Toad skin. It was a delicate  job , mainly removing the old , hard, dried out leather covering.  I stopped it from  breaking up using clear adhesive tape ,  as you can see, it was so fragile.  It just took some thought...and some creativity, to cover it in Cane Toad skin. Toad skins are an odd shape, they take a bit of shaping, trimming and using some off-cuts to fill in any gaps .   It was fiddly, but I am quite happy with it :) 

I took  ' before, during & after pics ' .

HS

Vintage Lighter Re-cover with Cane Toad Skin 003.jpg

Vintage Lighter Re-cover with Cane Toad Skin 005.jpg

Vintage Lighter Re-cover with Cane Toad Skin 008.jpg

Really nice refurb @Handstitched! I really like the lumpy new textures of the cane toad. 

I am working on a candle holder for the wife.  Think, a wrap that goes around the jar.  I'm trying to learn different sewing techniques from youtube.  I'm curious:  how did you sew your ends together?  

@JayEhl The original leather cover was attached with an adhesive, I did the same with the Cane Toad skins . It was fiddly as, because toad skins are an odd shape, so it was a case  of measuring, trimming...repeat. Once all the pieces were trimmed , like jigsaw pieces, they were  then carefully attached using the same process. No sewing involved. When Cane Toad skins are stuck, they stay ' stuck' . 

I  lightly sanded  the lighter body, and gave it a clean up with some acetone to remove any dust , grease etc. 

HS