kyleatherworker

Gun Mold: SAA vs. Ruger Vaquero in size?

I'm needing to get a vaquero mold. However, it seems to be easier to find a Colt SAA. But, I cold swear that I remember the Ruger Vaquero's being slightly different in size. Can anyone confirm this? And, do you have suggestions for the best place to buy one?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Craig

Hello Craig,

The "old model" Ruger Vaqueros are slightly larger than a SAA and the "new model" is the exact same. I use a Cimarron arms SAA clone as a "mold" and have build numerous holsters for the older model Rugers without having any issues. If you were concerned you could stuff a SAA mold or pistol in a boot sock to ensure your holster had enough room. 

Good luck with your project! 

Josh

21 minutes ago, Josh Ashman said:

Hello Craig,

The "old model" Ruger Vaqueros are slightly larger than a SAA and the "new model" is the exact same. I use a Cimarron arms SAA clone as a "mold" and have build numerous holsters for the older model Rugers without having any issues. If you were concerned you could stuff a SAA mold or pistol in a boot sock to ensure your holster had enough room. 

Good luck with your project! 

Josh

Thanks Josh! So, I'm guessing since my customer just bought this new vaquero birds head, then it's a new model and I should be fine to get the SAA. Correct?

Out of curiosity, have you ever used a longer barrel version to make a shorter size holster? Specifically, if the bottom is open as the I'm making will be. Since it will be a OWB pancake version, I assume I could be a stanadard barrel length mold and use a dowel for the front sight channel and simply let the barrel hang out while forming. Then, simply remove and form over the end of the holster. Would you agree?

Using different length barrels will "work", but not optimal.  The correct barrel length will, in my opinion, let the holster "hug" the muzzle, even if it isn't formed to the muzzle, exactly.  It's akin to cutting the bottoms off a pair of pants as opposed to hemming them.  Both fit, but it's not the same.

2 hours ago, kyleatherworker said:

I'm needing to get a vaquero mold. However, it seems to be easier to find a Colt SAA. But, I cold swear that I remember the Ruger Vaquero's being slightly different in size. Can anyone confirm this? And, do you have suggestions for the best place to buy one?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Craig

... as for molds.  Bunkhouse Tools has some great SA and vintage guns.  Boise Foundry has odd, larger frames included in their catalog.

22 hours ago, kyleatherworker said:

Thanks Josh! So, I'm guessing since my customer just bought this new vaquero birds head, then it's a new model and I should be fine to get the SAA. Correct?

Out of curiosity, have you ever used a longer barrel version to make a shorter size holster? Specifically, if the bottom is open as the I'm making will be. Since it will be a OWB pancake version, I assume I could be a stanadard barrel length mold and use a dowel for the front sight channel and simply let the barrel hang out while forming. Then, simply remove and form over the end of the holster. Would you agree?

Craig,

I would feel fine with using a SAA mold for the "birdshead" Vaquero, shouldn't be any issue at all. 

Yes, I have used longer barrel molds/pistols to make holsters for shorter barreled models. I basically do just as you have noted. If I'm using a 5-1/2" SAA to make a holster for a 4-3/4" one I'll stuff the pistol in all the way and "form" around the frame and upper barrel then pull it our 3/4" and "form" around the end of the barrel. 

I put "form" in quotations as most all holsters I make for SAA's are "western" style ones without much forming to speak of. Certainly no detailed boning although I have done a little of that with full sized 1911's when making Commander size holsters and G17's when making G19 holsters. My experience is that you can get pretty far by being creative. You can also make a mess, but when that happens you gain experience which isn't all bad. 

Good luck on your holster!

Josh

Another quick question. 

I just got my bluegun mold. I ordered the colt SAA. It’s stamped 357 on the barrel and seems to be a smaller frame size. At least by feel. Is the 357 the frame frame size as the 45 colt?

Kyle,

Mine is a blue gun, made by or at least inscribed,  "ARMINUS-BY H.WEIHRAUCH/MADE IN GERMANY".

It is the .357 as well but measures within a few thousandths of my Uberti SAA .45 Colt.  I made the holsters with the blue gun and love them, the fit is  perfect.

So, yes, they are the right size.

God bless

Mike