JClif88

Direct Drive Servo Motor retrofit for vintage singer 491D

@JClif88I would like to see a photo of your setup.

Edited by JJN

On 11/12/2020 at 12:39 AM, Constabulary said:

Why a direct drive motor and not a standard under table mount motor? I´m sure that would cause less trouble.

You would also get a lower speed since the motor pulley would be smaller than the one on the machine,so a motor with 200 rpm low speed would be 100 or less @ the machine on a standard setup.

@CowboyBobI've found that 200rpm so far is plenty slow for my purposes tbh, and the single stitch button and needle positioning features have been more than useful.

@JJN Pictures below. I can't upload more for some reason (keeps telling me I'm limited to 1.46mb). Basically the motor is just hung on the shank in place of the original handwheel/pulley. The angle steel at the front stops the motor spinning. On the back there is a long metal strip that sits into the original belt cutout that stops rotation in the other way (due to kickback when the motor stops) 

DSC_0082.JPG

DSC_0081.jpg

Edited by JClif88

After further messing about I've managed to set it up to lift the needle when pressing back on the pedal. The only thing I'm now working on is deciphering the menus. 

10 hours ago, dikman said:

Full marks for your perseverance!:)

Thanks!, so far, if you don't need the super low speed control (less than 200rpm)I would highly recommend these motors, much cleaner setup, much more simple, the positioning options are brilliant, the power is significant and the single stitch function is great. I also managed to get it for £70 posted from Alibaba (although normal prices are more around £105)

may be a solution for some lightly duty  tailoring machines but thats not a setup I could imagine on my machines. I need the grippy hand wheel and the extra torque of a speed reducer when sewing heavy webbing and stuff. But anyway if it suits your needs - well done ;)

Edited by Constabulary