Aven

Cleaning a Dirty Machine

I stumbled across an Adler 205-370 that's been sitting out in a storage shed for that past several years.  Its been being baked by the summer heat of New Mexico and is covered with fine dirt.  How do I start cleaning this poor thing?  What should I use to clean it and/or what should I avoid using?  I have downloaded all of the manuals that I could find.  Thank you Uwe!

Any guidance you can offer will be most welcome.

I used a spray bottle of good auto de-greaser in combination with diesel fuel to get rid of the gunk in a Pfaff with good results. I used a couple of old toothbrushes to scrub those hard to reach dirty spots. Then basically gave it a good flushing / bath with regular sewing machine oil before doing a full oiling. Did most of the cleaning outside because of the diesel fuel. I have found diesel fuel when let to sit for a day to be a good fluid for freeing up seized parts.

kgg

Lucky for me the previous owner of our new place left a half full container of diesel.  Now I know what to do with it.  Thanks kkg.

Edited by Aven

I use wd40 to clean and regular sewing machine oil for lubrication.   I’ve cleaned really greasy machines that I intended to refinish with cheap carburetor cleaner, which is mostly acetone and will bubble paint, but it dries quick and doesn’t leave a smell.

Many people use nothing other than sewing machine oil - bought by the quart or gallon it’s not all that expensive.

Toothbrush-size brushes in nylon for painted surfaces, brass for most metal, and stainless steel for rust.  Qtips reach little spots, and forceps holding paper towels or cloth scraps reach larger hidden areas well.

Having said that, most industrials don’t need a deep cleaning - simply wipe off what you can with a rag and over oil it a bit and anything that needs to get flushed out of moving parts will.  

I put the machine outdoors in a rectangular 90 Liter mortar bucket and use one of these spray guns

https://www.ebay.de/itm/133551313467

and different brushes with different solvents (often paint thinner) or sometime with just a washing soda solution.

Edited by Constabulary

I'll give the oi bath treatment a go first and then move on to the harder stuff if need be. It would be nice if it's just a wipe down and oil job.  I like the idea of using a big tub to clean it in.  Next time I go to town I'll swing by Lowe's and check them out. 

Thanks guys for sharing.  I can't tell you how excited I am to get this one up and running. 

10 hours ago, Constabulary said:

I put the machine outdoors in a rectangular 90 Liter mortar bucket and use one of these spray guns

https://www.ebay.de/itm/133551313467

and different brushes with different solvents (often paint thinner) or sometime with just a washing soda solution.

Link comes back to LW Folker. Can't even copy the iem number.

2 minutes ago, Aven said:

Thanks Aven. Why didn't the same link work on Comstabularys post?

There are two parts to creating a link with the forum software.  One part is the text that shows up in the thread, which can be anything, and the other is the url.  If just the text portion is filled in the link doesn't go anywhere. 

2 minutes ago, Aven said:

There are two parts to creating a link with the forum software.  One part is the text that shows up in the thread, which can be anything, and the other is the url.  If just the text portion is filled in the link doesn't go anywhere. 

I see said the blind man. So when you copy and paste the link it does both?

I used to be on top of most of this back in the day before all the bells and whistles got added on.

sorry - was probably my fault... I put the wrong URL into the link I guess (copy paste error)

Aven made it right ;)

Edited by Constabulary

If you click on the link icon (fifth from the left) at the top of the reply window, you'll see what I'm talking about.  If I could do a screen shot I'd put it in this reply, but I can't figure that one out.  I know what you mean about the bells and whistles.   I can't figure out how to get a youtube link to show up in a post.  I can put a link to it, but I can't get it to show in my post as a video.  

4 hours ago, Aven said:

If you click on the link icon (fifth from the left) at the top of the reply window, you'll see what I'm talking about.  If I could do a screen shot I'd put it in this reply, but I can't figure that one out.  I know what you mean about the bells and whistles.   I can't figure out how to get a youtube link to show up in a post.  I can put a link to it, but I can't get it to show in my post as a video.  

I can't remember either. There's usually only two ways I link to a vid. Either I copy and paste the whole url or if a video that I've uploaded YouTube gives you a link to use but I can't remeber which one embegs it in the post.

Edited by toxo

I was going to suggest mineral spirits. but Diesel will work in a pinch. just don't get it on you. getting rid of the stench of diesel takes a while

Edited by Kcstott

1 hour ago, Kcstott said:

I was going to suggest mineral spirits. but Diesel will work in a pinch. just don't get it on you. getting rid of the stench of diesel takes a while

True.  I remember that from motor stables when I worked for Uncle.