Trouthunter

Reliable Barracuda and its look a likes

I am considering a Reliable Barracuda for some light leather work and from time to time I will need to use V138 Thread.  I know that when I can order a Barracuda that is modified to run the 138 thread.  Does any one know what this modification consists of?  

The official literature claims that the maximum thread size is #92 bonded, using a #21 maximum needle size. The hook clearance would have to be increased to clear a #22 or #23 needle and lockstitch knots that are 50% bigger than expected. Other parts may also need to be opened up to pass the oversize thread. This will probably cause the loss of the lower end of thread handling, shifting the range up by 1 thread size. But, 138 thread will really stress out the take-up lever and associated crank shafts and bearings. The bobbin tension spring might have to be stronger to not bend out permanently from the large thread. The top tension beehive spring might have to be replaced with a heavier duty coil spring. The check spring will need to be tweaked.

These changes and running heavier than recommended thread will likely void any warranty that normally comes with the machine. If you consistently run #138 thread in this machine you will wear it out rather quickly.

There is good news and bad news....

The good news is that many of clones of this type of machine share the design and parts interchange for the most part.   More than a few of these machines list 92 weight thread as a max, but 138 is commonly used with little more than resetting the hook to needle clearance, adjusting bobbin tension.   Sailrite has most replacement parts and a good online manual - like I said this is a generic design without a lot of difference between companies, although Sailrite machines do have some upgraded parts.

These are very compact - essentially the size and weight of an old domestic machine.  Another plus is there is minimal learning curve if you’ve only used domestic machines - essentially this is a domestic with a walking foot.

The bad news is these aren't very durable and while there is a walking foot, the design lacks a needle that travels back with the material like most industrial walking foot machines do.    The lack of needle feed makes stitches in heavy material much less consistent than a true triple feed.

If you were to place a triple feed industrial (singer 111w155, Juki lu-562, etc.) next to the Baracuda it would be quite clear it’s not much more than a domestic machine with a walking foot.  Industrials are over twice the weight and every part is beefier and designed for day in and out factory work.

All three of the domestic machines below are out of the 1960s - it’s a well proven domestic design copied by many makers - you’ll find 95% of the baracuda’s parts are identical in size and design to these.   I was looking at few machines of this vintage at a thrift store out of curiosity and actually bought one to compare it to my Baracuda clone...from the underside it would be impossible tell the difference between the walking foot and nonwalking foot.

I had one and gave it to a family member who didn’t have room for an industrial and honestly probably only uses it to hem jeans.   I warned them that if they are interested in heavy sewing this little machine would be quickly outgrown.

I warn people to stay away from this type of machine, but they look like a winning combination on the surface and the intimidation factor of a true industrial scares many into buying them.

Edit:  I forgot add, any clones with standard size handwheels need to be upgraded to the much larger “monster wheel” or it won’t hardly sew thick material, even though these all have that cute little speed reducer.

D519F0E1-278A-443A-A7F5-28B958446A9C.jpeg

4EDBCF09-8C0A-4382-883E-1C6AC74E3589.jpeg

E9C35AB1-FBA4-454C-A478-5C8903C6F8BC.jpeg

Edited by DonInReno

I thought they stopped doing the V138 upgrade but could be mistaken. All these machines were basically intended for was the offshore repair of sail material but can do decent work on other material as well. The pressor foot and feed dog are very aggressive but that can be somewhat tuned out not too leave as many marks in leather. Stitch constantly can be a challenge particularly as material thickness increases. They will do nicely for the occasional heavy use but are not built to withstand it for long. Unless you really need the zig zag feature you would be better off getting a good used machine in the Juki 1541S (compound feed, rated V138 top and bobbin) class or if you don't really need V138 maybe you could go down to a machine in the Juki 1181n (walking foot, rated V92 top and bobbin) class depending on what your needs/wants are.

kgg

Thank you all.  This has been very helpful.

We've tried getting this type of machine to use #138 & it just won't work no matter what you do you just can't get enough tension to make it sew properly.

...apparently my memory is as bad as an eBay shipping box!

I was moving a hot tub cover that was sewn with a Sailrite clone and I would have sworn everything built with that machine was sewn with 138, but it was only 92 - I was wrong about it sewing 138 with a few simple adjustments since if it would have worked with 138 that’s what would have been used.   Oops.  

On another topic, I hear Sailrite now makes a smooth feed dog for these machines.

On another topic, I hear Sailrite now makes a smooth feed dog for these machines.

It's nice to have it so it won't mark on the bottom but,I wonder if that would give consistent stitch length when sewing leather?

I have my Barracuda now for a couple months and I have happily used 207, 138 and 92.  The 207 was a bit trouble some and required the bobbin thread to be closely watched as it will not hold much.  It also required that I fuse with the timing.