28 minutes ago, fredk said:

Thanks Fred i have the tandy patterns i may have to use one of those and change it up a bit. This is what he wantsMens Teardrop Shape 1.5 Inch Brim Fedora Hat by Dorfman ...

I would describe that hat as a Trilby

15 hours ago, fredk said:

I would describe that hat as a Trilby

Thanks Fred i didn't know that. In my neck of the woods we have cowboy hats and baseball caps lol I knew it wasn't one of them.

Trilby = looks like a fedora but with narrower brim and the turned up rear of the brim and slopey look to the crown

If you have to adapt a fedora pattern; just reduce the width of the brim, [down to about 2 or 2.5 inches ], and wire the edge so you can turn it up at the rear. Narrow the top of the Crown piece and reduce the size of the Crown former, this will give the crown that sloped inwards look

11 minutes ago, fredk said:

Trilby = looks like a fedora but with narrower brim and the turned up rear of the brim and slopey look to the crown

If you have to adapt a fedora pattern; just reduce the width of the brim, [down to about 2 or 2.5 inches ], and wire the edge so you can turn it up at the rear. Narrow the top of the Crown piece and reduce the size of the Crown former, this will give the crown that sloped inwards look

i/he  will do that it also looks like the crown is higher on the sides than the front, I think i can pattern it with heavy paper pretty easy. 

Not usually a hat wearer but always have one near for when it's raining and you need to go in the garden or out to the car.

I made the Indiana Jones hat but would never wear it. Had this Australian style for years but it takes 5 mins to get it into shape for wearing.

P1010800.JPG

I had some 3mm soft chrome tan so I made this. I can abuse it as much as I like and it just springs back into shape.

One + photos 654.jpg

Love it.

One + photos 666.jpg

On 1/19/2022 at 11:43 AM, toxo said:

Not usually a hat wearer but always have one near for when it's raining and you need to go in the garden or out to the car.

I made the Indiana Jones hat but would never wear it. Had this Australian style for years but it takes 5 mins to get it into shape for wearing.

P1010800.JPG

I had some 3mm soft chrome tan so I made this. I can abuse it as much as I like and it just springs back into shape.

One + photos 654.jpg

Love it.

One + photos 666.jpg

Thats a nice hat, Is it all 3mm? 

On 1/19/2022 at 6:21 PM, Frodo said:

030.JPG

005.JPG

what leather did you use? is there wire in the brim?

25 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

Thats a nice hat, Is it all 3mm? 

what leather did you use? is there wire in the brim?

If you're asking me Chuck then as near as damnit yes. I bought a huge side Chrome tanned "Panama" from J Wood a couple of years ago for £50 delivered. It was meant to be 2.4mm I think. I made a shopping tote that turned out to be so heavy it's been a tool bag ever since. I still have some of it.

No wire in the hat. Is why I love it. can do anything to it and it just springs back into shape.

https://www.jwoodleathers.co.uk/panama-leather/

12 minutes ago, toxo said:

If you're asking me Chuck then as near as damnit yes. I bought a huge side Chrome tanned "Panama" from J Wood a couple of years ago for £50 delivered. It was meant to be 2.4mm I think. I made a shopping tote that turned out to be so heavy it's been a tool bag ever since. I still have some of it.

No wire in the hat. Is why I love it. can do anything to it and it just springs back into shape.

https://www.jwoodleathers.co.uk/panama-leather/

thanks  for your help its a good looking hat.