Sign in to follow this  
Don

two gun rigs

Here are two gun rigs that I just finished. The bigger one is a 454 Casull (big gun) and the other is for a Judge 410 pistol by Taurus. I like making gun belts and holsters...its a good break from saddles occasionally...definitely not my speciallty. Feel free to critique away...especially the real holster makers in the group, I would love to here what you guys think.

Siptak_Rigs.JPG

post-3790-1191252409_thumb.jpg

those look real nice don. Are they hand stitched or machine? If they are machine, what kind do you use? I curious because my machine leaves presser foot and feed dog marks, even with presure as low as it'll go.

Kevin,

Both the machines in my shop are Ferdco. I have a 440R baby bull and a pro 2000. My 440R used to leave marks as well, but I guess after a few years of using it, it now stitches with minimal marking. I need to get a narrow pressure foot for my 2000 because it does leave marks if the leather is even slightly damp.

These rigs were stitched on my 440R and it didn't leave any more of a mark than I could rub out. The machine marks are still a problem I am trying to solve.

Thanks for your coments.

Not a holster maker, but the leatherwork looks nice and clean to me. Well done!

--Gray

Those are about the nicest set of gun rigs I've seen. Congratulations, and two thumbs way up. :)

BTW, what dye and finish are you using for these? I love the deep brown color and the smooth satin finish. Just beautiful.

NICE

Abn,

These are built with Wickett and Craig Chestnut skirting leather. The only thing on them is a light coat of oil and then a bit of Skidmores leather creame for that broke in feel and color. That is all I used.

Very nice!