MFmLRpa.jpg

My first attempt at a pancake holster for a revolver.  Any critique is welcome.

The customer wanted no tooling or stamping except my Maker's Stamp.  I used one of my guns to help mold it and lucked out.  Their pistol fits perfectly.  

I did use edge coat but it doesn't seem to show on the bottom of the holster.  I guess I took the picture before the edge coating.  I normally use tan yye on all my work but the young lady requested all black. It covered easier than I thought it would.  

Any ideas for improvement?

12 hours ago, AzShooter said:

Their pistol fits perfectly.

Thenit sounds like ya nailed it ;)

Revolvers are different animal for pancakes. I struggled with them but final,y figured it out. Flat backs seem to be a lot easier, but don't look real clean. I take a piece/strip of the holster leather, double it, take a stitch at the fold. Then place the stitch as close to the top of the revolver as possible. Move down the vun marking where the bottom meets as you go. I draw a line approx 1/4 in h from the top of the holster then measure from there. After that it's stitch and pray..

Looks good though!

1.  Cut a piece of leather for the front . . . that you have laid over the revolver . . . you know for sure it will be big enough that you can trim it down to fit.

2.  Get it wet . . . not dripping . . . but good and wet.

3.  Put it in a vacuum bag . . . and vacuum form it to the revolver

4.  GENTLY hang that leather in a 135 to 140 degree hot box until it dries

Now all you gotta do is make the back . . . trim the front . . . and sew that dude.

Pancakes are a piece of cake . . . and this one will turn out being 80 % flat backed if you sew it right.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks.  Great information.  I have a vacuum bag set coming and I'm anxious to try it.

I recently acquired a vacuum set up. Love it!

38 minutes ago, Hags said:

I recently acquired a vacuum set up. Love it!

As time goes on . . . you will learn to love it more . . . take my word for it. 

I used to use a press . . . got scared with all the plastic guns . . .  vacuum system can't hurt one I don't believe.

May God bless,

Dwight

On 3/16/2021 at 11:25 PM, Dwight said:

As time goes on . . . you will learn to love it more . . . take my word for it. 

I used to use a press . . . got scared with all the plastic guns . . .  vacuum system can't hurt one I don't believe.

May God bless,

Dwight

I like the holster--like Jeff said about fit--if it fits, ya nailed it.  I've broken a few with the press, but not in a few years.  I found that once you've got it pressed down comfortably using one hand on the bar, it's pressed enough.  It's leather, so if you go to using two hands on the bar you've gone too far.  Not much gives me that sinking feeling of hearing that Blue Gun "pop" and knowing I just broke it in half.  Never used the vac system, but watch Eric at Adams Leather Works use his, and now I want one.  Highly recommend Eric's YouTube channel if you're of a mind to check it out.  Here's a link:  https://www.youtube.com/user/particlerealities

15 hours ago, BruceGibson said:

I like the holster--like Jeff said about fit--if it fits, ya nailed it.  I've broken a few with the press, but not in a few years.  I found that once you've got it pressed down comfortably using one hand on the bar, it's pressed enough.  It's leather, so if you go to using two hands on the bar you've gone too far.  Not much gives me that sinking feeling of hearing that Blue Gun "pop" and knowing I just broke it in half.  Never used the vac system, but watch Eric at Adams Leather Works use his, and now I want one.  Highly recommend Eric's YouTube channel if you're of a mind to check it out.  Here's a link:  https://www.youtube.com/user/particlerealities

I never worried about the blue gun (or green gun or red gun) popping . . . I was just afraid some day I'd get a Glock or other plastic fantastic wonder . . . and the "pop" would not be a friendly sound.

I know the odds of it happening are really infinitesimally small . . . but I'm the guy who collects those small odds.

Bought the Vac pump at Harbor freight . . . made the bags myself . . . sold off the rubber and dismantled the press.  

Haven't been sorry for a second.

May God bless,

Dwight