JHLeatherwood

Can my holster be salvaged?

Because I'm ... not smart, I thought it would be great to "finish" a holster using only Atom Wax and leather balm. I dyed and buffed it before rubbing generously with the stuff, and it looks great, if I do say so myself.

Shared some photos on Holsters for Handguns, and it was pointed out to me that the dye may transfer through the atom wax - that sealing with Resolene or similar is more than just a good idea. I tested with a white t-shirt and some scrap denim, and sure enough, the color transfers (which is no bueno, as this isn't for me).

So here's my questions:

• Can I just spray it down with 50/50 resolene, or will the acrylic not bond?
  • Is there a way to "strip" the atom wax so the resolene WILL bond?

I really like the warm luster of the waxed leather, and maybe it's just me, but the sealed leather looks cheaper.

Suggestions?

20210425_211256.jpg

20210425_210713.jpg

20210425_212211.jpg

20210425_210933.jpg

I have found that there is a limit to how far down the road I can go trying to fix something and sometimes the garbage can is my best solution.  Eventually I learned to pretty accurately determine what might be fixable and what would just be a waste of time.  Come up with a solution you think might work and try it.  If it doesn't work then write it off as a lesson learned and make another holster that's even better.  I have also found that no matter how well I think I have done on a piece there is always room for improvement.

:17:

That's pretty well said.  Holster isn't a major investment of leather, so not a huge loss.  I only comment to wonder out loud what is going on with your snap ...

Assuming you did the same to the mag carrier . . . there is your test bed.  Whole lot easier to make a new mag carrier than holster.

You can buy a product called mineral spirits at wally world or Lowes . . . it will take off the wax.  6 to 10 buck investment for you.  Put it on a white tee shirt cloth and rub, rub, rub.

Not sure what it will do to the leather . . . but I think if you are careful . . . you won't destroy it.  Just don't get it soaked in it.  I've gotten all sorts of solvents and stuff on leather in the past . . . and got away with it . . . you probably will.

As for the finish . . . a couple of light coats of Resolene or Mop N Glow will seal it . . . you can then wax it to your little ol hearts content.

May God bless,

Dwight

Been using mop and glo then atom wax for 10 years.  Not sure why folks think it's either or.  The AW gives a nice shine to it since the M&G comes out a bit dull for my taste.  And resolene comes out looking like shiny plastic.  

Denatured alcohol would likely strip the wax off too.  

5 hours ago, JLSleather said:

:17:

That's pretty well said.  Holster isn't a major investment of leather, so not a huge loss.  I only comment to wonder out loud what is going on with your snap ...

I should post the rest of the photos, and let y'all tell me what else I should fix in version 2.

I put the snap on wrong. Now I know the cup goes on the thumb break, and the stud on the strap. Live and learn.

One more reason to make it again, and make it right. This is my first "not going to a family member" holster, and I want it to be as right as it can be.

I keep a bucket with some "close but not close enough" projects. It's good to be able to see progress.

6 hours ago, sbrownn said:

I have found that there is a limit to how far down the road I can go trying to fix something and sometimes the garbage can is my best solution.  Eventually I learned to pretty accurately determine what might be fixable and what would just be a waste of time.  Come up with a solution you think might work and try it.  If it doesn't work then write it off as a lesson learned and make another holster that's even better.  I have also found that no matter how well I think I have done on a piece there is always room for improvement.

Yep - always improving, and nothing lost if I try to fix it and it doesn't work, since I'm committed to fixing it "right" - meaning, make a new one.

1 hour ago, JHLeatherwood said:

Yep - always improving, and nothing lost if I try to fix it and it doesn't work, since I'm committed to fixing it "right" - meaning, make a new one.

YES!  If you were thinking about "trying" something, here would be the place to do it.  If it doesn't work, well  you were thinking of starting fresh anyway.  One more lesson, which this time is FREE.

Is that a shield 9?  Not sure from the angle.   Just sayin'.. if you wuz gonna start again, ask about a pattern fer a shield holster (first one free ;) ).

16 hours ago, JLSleather said:

YES!  If you were thinking about "trying" something, here would be the place to do it.  If it doesn't work, well  you were thinking of starting fresh anyway.  One more lesson, which this time is FREE.

Is that a shield 9?  Not sure from the angle.   Just sayin'.. if you wuz gonna start again, ask about a pattern fer a shield holster (first one free ;) ).

Good eye! Yep, it's a shield 9. I'm remaking the holster using the same Adam's Leatherworks pattern, since the customer has seen it and likes it.

I'm certainly not above getting a free pattern - do you have one for the Ruger Security 9? :)  I'm going to troll through your etsy store tonight to see what other interesting patterns you have.