Sign in to follow this  
JKogerFurniture

Did I ruin my leather with neatsfoot?

Need help! I'm making a lounge chair with upholstered seat with chrome tanned leather I bought from Tandy as "deertan." It was soft and supple and dry, but the color was too light, so I applied neatsfoot oil to darken it, and I'm afraid I've ruined it. The darker, deeper color is perfect, but the leather became very tacky - dust and fibers would cling to it, and it wasn't pleasant to sit on. I tried applying a product called "Leather Top Coat." This made it only slightly less tacky, but unattractively cloudy, so I then put furniture wax on top. In for a penny, in for a pound. Now it doesn't look or feel good. I may ultimately have to throw it out and start over, but obviously hoping not to. I'm thinking I may hand wash with dish soap to remove as much of the oil and wax as possible. But I still ultimately need it a darker color, and to have a smooth finish. Suggestions? 

I frequently WASH deer and elk skins in the washing machine. Cold water, and laundry SOAP, not detergent. White King is one brand, Ivory Snow flakes is another.

It may take 2-3 cycles to remove all of that, but at this point it is a cheaper option than buying more leather.

I usually hang them till mostly dry, then tumble in the dryer with no heat. A couple of baseballs helps "beat" them soft as they finish drying. 

For the record, deer and elk can be dyed with Rit dye. Blend different colors, experiment on scrap until you find the color you want. 

On 5/4/2021 at 5:37 AM, JKogerFurniture said:

Need help! I'm making a lounge chair with upholstered seat with chrome tanned leather I bought from Tandy as "deertan." It was soft and supple and dry, but the color was too light, so I applied neatsfoot oil to darken it, and I'm afraid I've ruined it. The darker, deeper color is perfect, but the leather became very tacky - dust and fibers would cling to it, and it wasn't pleasant to sit on. I tried applying a product called "Leather Top Coat." This made it only slightly less tacky, but unattractively cloudy, so I then put furniture wax on top. In for a penny, in for a pound. Now it doesn't look or feel good. I may ultimately have to throw it out and start over, but obviously hoping not to. I'm thinking I may hand wash with dish soap to remove as much of the oil and wax as possible. But I still ultimately need it a darker color, and to have a smooth finish. Suggestions? 

I'm pretty sure that chrome tan and deertan are pretty differant. You just had your first lesson on the tarbaby effect. (no racial intent please) You first realized you messed up pretty soon. Should of stopped there if this was new for you. Tacky can be from humidity. and top coat. Have to be carefull and let it dry forever.

Deertan IS chrome tan.