Men

Global LP 9971

Hi folks,

Working with leather for a while now. All my stitching are saddle stitches. Making belts, bags, briefcases etc I’m looking into buying a sewing machine but I’m running into a nightmare of choices. There a so many choices and even more opinions about what to buy. So..wanted to pick your brain on the Global LP 9971.

Any one using it? Good/bad experiences,

limitations?

Thanks

Men

14 minutes ago, Men said:

All my stitching are saddle stitches. Making belts, bags, briefcases etc I’m looking into buying a sewing machine

Sewing machines do not form saddle stitches. They are either lockstitch - with overlapping knots that need to be buried inside the material, or chainstitch - with a looper forming a thread chain on the bottom. The latter is only useful if you can't see the bottom of the work and heavy duty chainstitch machines are not easy to find. Briefcases were sewn with Puritan chainstitch machines back in the day. Everything else is done on lockstitch machines.

The type of sewing machine you need to sew leather depends on a number of factors. It could be a flat bed, post bed, or cylinder arm. It all depends on how the work needs to be stitched. Belts, straps and flat items are best sewn on a flat bed. Hats and bags are better sewn on a post bed machine. Sleeves, cylindrical items and things the hang down on the bottom are best sewn on a cylinder arm machine. Many cylinder arm machines have accessory table attachments for sewing flat work.

The things you describe don't require a super heavy duty machine. Show us some pictures of the things you are making and we may be able to recommend specific machines.

The Global 9971 appears to be yet another a copy/clone of a popular design dual driven-wheel post bed design. I don’t know what original design these machines are based on, but there’s a lot of them. The Global 9971 is essentially the house brand version sold by Global, a big sewing machine company based in the Netherlands. If you’re within day-trip driving distance to Global then you should strongly consider visiting them. I’ve not personally used this machine, but I spoke with a Global representative at a sewing machine trade show a few years back. Global seems to have their act together from what I can tell.

image.jpeg

Other clone brands sell very similar machines, often with a 9910 or 24618  in the model name. Example: Highlead 9910/24618 

image.jpeg

The relative quality of generic clone machines often depends on the company importing them and setting them up. This is why being able to visit the vendor in person for a demo and/or purchase and for service is important. In Europe, some of the big brands for generic clone machines are Global, HighLead, HighTex (Cowboy), Typical, Sieck, among others. Take some of your materials and finished products to get meaningful advice on which machine is best suited.

The dual driven-wheel post bed machines are generally popular with people who make shoes. They’re very good at sewing tight curves and following intricate designs very close to the edge. Long straight stitch lines can be challenging because the material pivots so easily around the needle.

The YouTube videos showing theses types of machines in action often feature very skilled sewists who make it look easy. You can also sew belts, bags and similar projects with a machine like this.

If you’re expecting the machine-sewn seams to look like your hand-sewn saddle stitch seams, would will very likely be disappointed.

Edited by Uwe

4 hours ago, Uwe said:

image.jpeg

Other clone brands sell very similar machines, often with a 9910 or 24618  in the model name. Example: Highlead 9910/24618 

-----

I just this afternoon picked up the pallet and setting-up this exact model duel drive Post Bed you talking about, branded a Model 4618 by Artisan sales down in the bay area CA.
All the sales description say these models are 'duel drive' , but also they say Needle Feed . It does have a small amount of needle walk on the shaft stroke .

Does seem to be Very Common design post bed being bought by several vendors .  I would also really like to know the Parent machine that it is copied from ?
-
1016299211_6418PostBed.thumb.jpg.b9f13d5572ccc03b0c128a0f3ec2bbbc.jpg
-

Edited by nylonRigging

On 5/10/2021 at 5:25 PM, Wizcrafts said:

Sewing machines do not form saddle stitches. They are either lockstitch - with overlapping knots that need to be buried inside the material, or chainstitch - with a looper forming a thread chain on the bottom. The latter is only useful if you can't see the bottom of the work and heavy duty chainstitch machines are not easy to find. Briefcases were sewn with Puritan chainstitch machines back in the day. Everything else is done on lockstitch machines.

The type of sewing machine you need to sew leather depends on a number of factors. It could be a flat bed, post bed, or cylinder arm. It all depends on how the work needs to be stitched. Belts, straps and flat items are best sewn on a flat bed. Hats and bags are better sewn on a post bed machine. Sleeves, cylindrical items and things the hang down on the bottom are best sewn on a cylinder arm machine. Many cylinder arm machines have accessory table attachments for sewing flat work.

The things you describe don't require a super heavy duty machine. Show us some pictures of the things you are making and we may be able to recommend specific machines.

Thank you for your reply. Besides some small stuf like belts etc find below some examples of recent work.

On this post bed design machine, Roller foot feed, with needle bar feeding assembly . It is a really different piece of mechanics to me  . For what little I have done so far with it . I seems to be a real smooth/fluent with the feeding and stitching .

Pic. is face cover off, and showing the links for the roller foot drive, and needle bar assembly.

898849853_duelfeed-needlefeed.jpg.b0187ee0e28ebe95c21926a4d361eb51.jpg

-

Also, on the bottom underside shaft . There is a ( safety clutch block assembly ) , with a non-metallic composite connection plate in between .

35713742_Clutchassembly.jpg.944eaaf43e7b6549418ef8bedaec0893.jpg

small.thumb.jpg.3568fdd833ecf7511b7cc3de4c3275d9.jpg

Edited by nylonRigging

Thank you all for the feedback already provided.

@Uwe @Wizcrafts I realize the stitches will be of a completely different quality as my saddle stiches but for some project the time factor is important to be competitive in price. Also in very small projects saddle is not fine enough e.g. in watchstraps.

@nylonRigging The fact the model is cloned that often means the design should be good so the challenge is getting the clone with the best quality/price ratio? Do you from a quality perspective absolute no go clones based on quality?

10 hours ago, Men said:

Do you from a quality perspective absolute no go clones based on quality?

I know of several clone brands that are top quality. But, their availability depends on your location. You are in the Netherlands so you may not have dealers selling and supporting the brands I am familiar with. I recommend buying any brand you like from an authorized dealer who will setup and service the machine as needed. Chances are good that unless you make a rookie mistake and jam up the bobbin case and shuttle, the machine could outlast you. Talk with your industrial sewing machine dealers!

On 5/10/2021 at 5:20 PM, Uwe said:

Bump this back up ..
Something that I just took note of . Is that I just changed out Press-Foot drive assembly for less than 100-$ shipped ..  LOL .. Cant do that with Adler or Pfaff .
-
749062439_pressfootdriveassembly.jpg.21114ca8cd342cdd6ff363cdd07dcadf.jpg
-

I have a Global 9971, does anyone know if a Pfaff  591 roller with straight teeth would fit it as well?

IMG_1660.jpeg