Sign in to follow this  
Sturmtrupp702

Best leather for motorcycle saddle bags

Whats the best leather to use for motorcycle saddle bags? Chrome tanned or veg tan ? If veg tan is the Herman oak water resistant leather a good choice?<

36 minutes ago, Sturmtrupp702 said:

Whats the best leather to use for motorcycle saddle bags?

You might consider latigo leather. 

Found this at www.leatherjacketshop.com: "Latigo leather is treated with conditioners and infused with oils which makes it almost completely waterproof and extremely durable. It is only this why latigo leather is the most common type of leather when it comes to making saddle seats, straps and horse tack."

Then from www.bestleather.org: “Latigo leather is most commonly made from cowhide. It is first chrome tanned, which involves soaking the hide in a solution of acidic salts and then drying it before further processing. Next it is vegetable tanned by soaking it in a series of vats with progressively higher concentrations of tanning solutions. After completing the tanning process, the hides are tumbled in large drums to absorb various oils and waxes. This makes them more pliable and supple, while retaining their strength.”

I have used latigo for many years because of its durability, and then I came across "California Latigo" from The Hide House (https://www.hidehouse.com/Leather/Belt-Grade-California-Latigo-Cow-Full-Grain-Retan-Finish-CLYE45-P.aspand like it because holds up in every kind of weather. 

There are two things you will need to know if you don't already: latigo's temper ranges from supple to very firm, and it can take tooling but not well.

Here's a pair of bags I made a few years ago using California Latigo. 

Ferrari-Bags.jpg

What  I came up with was: shoe sole composite for side next to bike (chain & grease resistant) along with 9/10 oz black harness for gussets and 11/13 oz black harness for fronts and lids. Held shape and lasted well.

On 7/1/2021 at 9:06 AM, Sturmtrupp702 said:

Whats the best leather to use for motorcycle saddle bags

If you want to make it budget friendly as well as sturdy then synthetic leather is best choice, but if you are going with real leather then you may try pig skin or cow hide for it. It will be better if you choose the leather tougher and the one which provides much protection.