charleskterry

Pattern for slingshot Ammo pouch

Hello, I’ve never posted before, but I have a question.  Does anyone have a pattern or can recommend a pattern for a slingshot Ammo pouch?  I’d like to be able to carry it over the shoulder since I don’t always wear a belt.  It doesn’t have to be really large, but big enough to carry 20 to 30  10mm lead round balls.   Any help would be appreciated.  

Thank you

Look for SCA aumonieres. Any turned pouch will work, usually in suede. Just make sure the mouth is large enough for your hand.

Simplistically, take a 10" x 6" rectangle, reinforce one long side with a 1" band of 3oz tan sewn on, and pierce for eyelets at 1.5" intervals. Sew the ends together with the band inside so you get a cylinder, and sew the other long edge to an appropriately sized roundel of leather. 3 1/2" should do, as long as you trim the surplus off once sewn. Turn right way out, add a lace.

A rectangular belt pouch also works. Again, a bog-standard gusseted bag.

Thank you.  I’ll look and see what I can find on the forum.  I think if I could find a pic with some measurements I could recreate my version of it.

This is a basic circular one. often they'd be rinforced with a citcular base, sewn into the centre. The downside with this pattern is everything falls out if you let the drawstring go!

89304889_p[1].jpg

On 7/8/2021 at 12:41 AM, charleskterry said:

Hello, I’ve never posted before, but I have a question.  Does anyone have a pattern or can recommend a pattern for a slingshot Ammo pouch?  I’d like to be able to carry it over the shoulder since I don’t always wear a belt.  It doesn’t have to be really large, but big enough to carry 20 to 30  10mm lead round balls.   Any help would be appreciated.  

Would a simple draw-string bag work?

I make them in various sizes and one I currently make for D&D dice sets would carry that amount of shot easily

Although the draw-string pouch can be just put in a pocket, with a long loop of thong it can be held onto a belt, and with an even longer length of thong it could be held over the shoulder(s)

PS. a friend of mine collects antiquities from archaeologic sites. He once showed me some Roman sling-shot bullets. They were cast lead, long pointed oval shape with 'Tolle Quad' on them - Latin for 'Take That'

look at black powder shot pouches, or black powder ball pouches.

6 hours ago, fredk said:

a friend of mine collects antiquities from archaeologic sites. He once showed me some Roman sling-shot bullets. They were cast lead, long pointed oval shape with 'Tolle Quad' on them - Latin for 'Take That'

Different kind of sling, they were using ones cut from near the spine where one end wrapped around the fingers, the slug lay in the cup, and was whirled around the head until the slinger released the other end as a target came into range. The whistling alone was petrifying: it was copied in certain arrow-heads.

His are more likely to be grown-up versions of kids's pocket catapults, powered by gym elastic. Some (the wrist rocket style) have enough range and lethality to make a red dot or laser sight an attractive addition. Joerg Sprave's YouTube channel takes it to a whole new level - he's working with some top Renaissance weaponry experts to clarify what a lifetime's training could do. Some of the archers skeletons show serious muscular deformations, as the weights they were pulling would make Olympic strongmen blench.

Thank you.  I've seen the Roman ones in a museum in Greece, they looked lethal if you were hit anywhere above the waist.  I guess the Romans had a pretty good range on them as well.  Those in combination with arrows would be devastating. 

4 hours ago, charleskterry said:

Thank you.  I've seen the Roman ones in a museum in Greece, they looked lethal if you were hit anywhere above the waist.  I guess the Romans had a pretty good range on them as well.  Those in combination with arrows would be devastating. 

they are fun as heck to throw with. i keep one in my hunting pack and use it to scare game out of the trees. You can toss a stone a good long ways for sure and they are really accurate after some practice. A black powder ball pouch such as this would work well and you could hang it from a thong around the neck.

ballpouch.jpg

This would likely work, and rather than belt slot on the rear, add d-rings to the back or side as I did on my daughter's pouch.

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/102863-my-second-22-pouch/

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/102408-the-second-pouch-for-the-daughter/