On 7/20/2021 at 1:05 PM, jimi said:

Yes correct tsunkasapa, that is a chain stitch and looks like a double needle machine. This works with one thread only and a looper instead of a bobbin, in this case 2 threads and 2 loopers. The machine that comes to mind for this heavy duty work would be a Puritain stitcher. You have probably heard of them???

Super cool video btw.  The stitching on the original caseooked a lot like what the Puritain is laying down, however much of the stitching was single row...and the two runs of double row stitching was not very perfectly parallel.  Did they make a single row looper do you know?

Silverd

Yes Silvered, I think they had the 1,2 and 3 needle option, there was a catlouge i think somewhere on here with the models? Great job on the case by the way...looks amazing:thumbsup:

Edited by jimi

5 hours ago, jimi said:

Yes Silvered, I think they had the 1,2 and 3 needle option, there was a catlouge i think somewhere on here with the models? Great job on the case by the way...looks amazing:thumbsup:

I'd say they used something on the order of this machine to produce these trunks back in the day.  I'm looking for a high post (17") to enable the same but with lock stitch.  

Screenshot_20220110-071514_Chrome.jpg

Story of my life...a day late and a dollar short!  These machines sold on ebay a few years ago.  Wow...what a find.

Screenshot_20220110-072550_Chrome.jpg

20 hours ago, Silverd said:

Story of my life...a day late and a dollar short!  These machines sold on ebay a few years ago.  Wow...what a find.

Screenshot_20220110-072550_Chrome.jpg

Yeah these are monsters!! I imagine parts would be hard to find and needles probably expensive too?

Looks almost like a knee mill. I wish likewise sized mills were available in this sturdy configuration. Mini mills are a joke.

1 hour ago, DrmCa said:

Looks almost like a knee mill. I wish likewise sized mills were available in this sturdy configuration. Mini mills are a joke.

Haas Mini Mills?