chrisash

What is this slots purpose

Can anyone explain what this slot is for (top left long slit)

Right_slide.jpg

It looks like it is there instead of the spring? to exert pressure to keep the plate on?

Exactly as Constabulary and jimi say - You can gently bend the little tab outward a little, to make the plate fit the bed slot snugly.

After making my own utility cover plates for several brands and ages of machines, its fairly obvious that their tolerance for the dovetail milling operation used in that design must have been pretty....open. I'm guessing that if you made a cover plate to fit the higher end tolerance passably well, it wouldn't even drive in some of the beds with the low end of the run. They probably modified the "cheaper part" to allow some compensation for variables and wear, and the 'spring' shape left on the narrow slide of the slot is able to adjust to the *feel* desired. I have to individually fit mine to the machine it will be used on (mostly for binder mounts, edge guides etc) ...and of the five vertical axis machines I've had which share this design, only 2 of them could share plates.  My problem is/was, that the plate needs to fit the dovetails pretty well because of the setscrew-type clamp I use to secure the plate after adjustment. If too loose, this locking screw lifts the whole plate nearly out of engagement with the bed, and the original singer slotted spring can't resist the lifting force's tendency to wedge it back inwards. So....hand fitting it is.

-DC

Thanks Folker

Many thanks, no mention of it on the manuals, don't think I would ever have thought of that, I did not fully understand your comment on the other post, thanks again for all your great advice you have given me on this machine, even got the binder top work