Sheilajeanne

When The Septic Tank Backs Up...

21 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Whoever installed the plumbing was definitely NOT a professional. 

If they had installed the connection right in the first place you may never have had a problem. That connection was just a blockage waiting to happen. It was obviously installed without an inspection.

kgg

kgg, that's NOT where the backup is! It's in the area showing in the first of the three pictures I posted above. When the plumber put the camera down the line, that whole area was filled with water, because the line doesn't have the right slope. The connection with the pipe next to it is also at an angle, another thing that's causing the problem.

Edit: I see I said above the line has too much slope. Yeah, the section of pipe coming down to the join has too much slope, and the one it flows into has too little - it must be practically horizontal. Plus, the join between the pipes is at an angle. THIS is definitely the area that has the problem. But of course, the whole run of pipe is going to replaced, and the backasswards Y connection will be fixed!

The original house was well built. The garage with the apartment above it was a later addition, and you don't have to look too closely to see it was definitely a D.I.Y. job. :unsure: 

I've been told the original owner of the house was an electrical engineer, so at least the electrical is in good shape. I had extensive electrical work done when I added a kitchen to the apartment, and the electrician found everything was in pretty much up to code.

Edited by Sheilajeanne

And it's DONE! Yesterday my tenant and his 2 sons installed the new pipe. A retired master plumber who is a good friend of W's was here to supervise and make sure everything was done properly. The new pipe was checked frequently before gluing to make sure it had the correct slope.

We're going to leave everything uncovered for a few days to make sure there are no leaks, and everything is working properly. Then, the area will have to be backfilled, and a whole bunch of new patio stones installed.  I need to find some clean fill to bring the area up level with the other section of the patio, as the cement was 6 to 8 inches thick, while the patio stones are only 1".

W. left the section of old pipe which went under the oil tank as it would have been a really bad idea to dig out the earth supporting the tank. Also, unlike whoever installed the original plumbing, we were THINKING AHEAD to possibly having to replace or repair the line at some point in the future... :rolleyes2: