oldfarmboy

Michel Simard post machine

This unit on auction locally. What can the group tell me about it? Haven't examined it yet but presumably it's functioning. No table. BTW, serial  2895

img.axd?id=7106699075&wid=&p=&ext=&w=0&h=0&t=&lp=&c=True&wt=False&sz=Max&rt=0&checksum=N%2f9eYN1eBMkLprpmrSdc%2bpTm6FIlSqXH

Edited by oldfarmboy
added serial, removed motor

I never heard of that brand. It is probably a Chines or Japanese machine that was rebadged. It looks to be run hard and put up wet.

That said, I see it has a roller foot. The top tension spring looks to be light duty, meaning thin thread capacity. I'd say it is suitable for sewing soft leather hats and bags, or for hemming pants. My guess is it can handle up to #69 bonded thread using a #18 needle.

If there is a phone number on the name tag, contact that company with the model number to see if they know anything about it. Otherwise, you have nothing to go by. You will need to buy a table that is cutout for that bed and has a suitable oil pan and knee or foot lift pedal that fits to the machine head. You'll also need a motor, switchbox and v-belt to go to the machine's balance wheel. If the machine still has its mounting pivot clamps on the back (doubtful), the table will need matching clamp pivot mounts. If those are missing you will need to figure out what type it takes and buy them. These things could run you a few hundred dollars.

Thanks.

All I can find so far is this:

https://simards.com/

They have closed shop just recently.

I have a table, though the cutout may not match. Spare clutch motor laying around and can make or scrounge up the other parts needed. Current bid is $2. There are several other industrial machines on this sale too, a Pfaff, Singer, Adler and some leather. Close out (not connected to Simard's closing), retirement or estate sale perhaps???

2 hours ago, oldfarmboy said:

What can the group tell me about it?

The machine was a clone sold by the Michel Simard ltd. the nameplate may also say MSM which was a division of Michel Simard ltd. They just recently closed their doors selling through auction all their new (Alder /  PFAFF / Global ) and used machines, new and used hot / clicker presses to name a few items in their Montreal, QC and Cambridge locations. So parts are going to be near impossible or easily too get for their clone equipment. There was really no good buys to be had as a lot of machines particularly the used stuff went for close too or above retail. I guess people forgot to add the 30 percent to what their bid amount was to get the real amount they had to pay.

Two examples:

Juki 563 with table and clutch motor went for just over $1500 when you add in the 30 percent someone paid $2000.

PFAFF 1245 with table and clutch motor went for just over $1000 when you add in the 30 percent someone paid over $1350. I just sold my PFAFF 1245 with table and clutch motor in decent working condition for $500.

kgg

Interesting Art Deco design on that, but I wouldn't buy it - Hard enough to get parts for "normal" machines ..........

Looks like a Singer 236 will wheel feed. They usually have a very short stitch length. I don´t think its a clone I still can see the Singer badge.

Edited by Constabulary