reckker

Stain on a saddle

Is it possible to get a stain out of leather ? 

stained saddle.jpg

You might try Oxalic acid. However, IF it removes the stain, you might have the opposite problem of the spots being lighter than the surrounding leather. Try it in a small, inconspicuous area to see. Here is a link to a thread about it.

Oxalic Acid And Cleaning Leather - Dyes, Antiques, Stains, Glues, Waxes, Finishes and Conditioners. - Leatherworker.net

Thank you very much ! I will try to update once I give this a try. 

Oxalic acid was once made from rhubarb , quite toxic, not so much when cooked , a bit of useless info. ( hate rhubarb & custard :) 

In the extreme, perhaps a re-colour of the saddle  that matches the stain? Its otherwise a nice saddle. 

HS

Wash with soap and water use plain white soap or glycerin soap wash the whole saddle if the stain comes out some then you could use oxalic acid solution if not it's an iron oxide stain which is really bad for leather and the acid will damage the leather more. for adding colour use a tanning tea when dry wipe with a damp cloth and dress with bees wax and lanolin leave to dry then buff with  a cloth

20 hours ago, Les No6 said:

oxalic acid solution if not it's an iron oxide stain which is really bad for leather and the acid will damage the leather

I have been quite successful with removing black stains due to iron contamination.  And yes, you need to replace some of the oils that are lost due to bleaching with Oxalic acid.   A teaspoon in a pint of water is strong enough, and doesn't bother my skin much ... sort of like lemon juice which you can also use to bleach stains.  Just don't keep you fingers in it all day!

You can bleach it using Q-tips or other cotton/wool swabs, so you can avoid bleaching more than the stain area.  Do it in progressive steps until you get a close match to the surrounding area. 

Also note that you may have to remove any protective finish for what ever agent you use to clean/bleach out the stain.  In that case, you will want to remove the finish over the whole piece/panel/seat so you can have a consistent colour.