Sign in to follow this  
eddo

Singer 29u171 needle and foot synchronisation

I've dismantled and repainted a singer 29U171 (the earlier Japanese made singer, not the 'A' subclass). When I've put it back together, the needle plunge and walking foot are completely out of sync - i.e. the foot is trying to walk the material when the needle is at full plunge). I'm struggling to find out why. I've not internally touched the head components as all was fine and tight, and on reassembly I've put the main drive pulley on as removed.The main drive pulley seems the logical place where the problem can be fixed- i.e the relationship between the drive shaft and the needle bar driving lever has been compromised by the pulley position on the shaft. I am unsure about the rear side elements of the head (i.e. how they work exactly- any help there appreciated) but pretty sure they are installed OK, and the only other thing taken off there to paint was a single screw (locking screw?) at the base of the foot pressure spring.  Please see attached images. Yes... colour is a tad over the top... paint supply/ location issue!

IMG_20210903_205628_resized_20210904_085005753.jpg

IMG_20210903_210257_resized_20210904_085005189.jpg

IMG_20210903_210048_resized_20210904_085005428.jpg

IMG_20210903_122512_resized_20210904_085005960.jpg

I assume you have the manual for this machine and have followed the timing instructions, right?

If yes and it did not help then most likely you have installed the cam / pulley it in the wrong position. I´d remove it, rotate it by 180° and reinstall it. But I cannot judge what you did so I only can guess.

Edited by Constabulary

Thanks.. Yes I think I Answered my own question as I wrote.. I rotated the main pulley 180 and the problem was immediately solved... Foot and needle in sync and sewing beautifully.. And what a pleasurable sound. Thanks for responding.