BaroqueLeatherGal

How to make padded crowns

Hey everyone, so I'm stumped on how to make a padded shaped crownpiece for a horse bridle? I'm trying to step up my game and offer more options for my higher end English clients. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to pad a piece that isn't straight?! What's in the middle of it? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Are the pieces clicked out? I have a hydraulic 25ton press, just not sure where to start.

Screenshot_20211009-165013_Chrome.jpg

Commercial ones may be pressed out, most of us either make a template or cut the head using measurements. Experience will help decide which to use. I tend to cut directly if one off. To make pad use the head shape but keep the edge of the pad very close to the front as there is no point shaping around the ears then extending the pad 1/8th inch forward hence the pad showing more at the back. Remember when covering the pad allow for the thickness of the soft leather so the foam may be same or slightly narrower than the head itself. Remember to taper ends in at the ends for a good finish.

I have only padded halters, and I don't put anything under the soft leather. it seems to still offer a bit of cushion effect due to the folded parts. 
TomE (on this forum) uses neoprene as padding.

We call these ' brow bands' in Oz, same diff   :)

HS

Have a look at this just reverse the curve, i use neoprene for my padded Headpieces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG-4CQoE2ME

Hope this helps

JCUK

I learned about making padded straps watching YouTube videos from JH Leather on padded dog collars.  I use 1/8" neoprene padding and shape 2-3 oz leather around the pad before sewing the pad to the leather top piece.  I am repairing a padded bridle similar to the one in your post.  I made a pattern and cut the crown piece out of 7-8 oz leather using a round knife.  On this Anteres bridle, the points for the throatlatch are sewn to the crown piece.  The points have squares of leather, skived to a thin edge, that are inserted between the crown piece and the paddding.  I will be stitching this bridle by hand, but I use a machine for padded halters.  When I get more time for leatherwork I will post some photos.