Handstitched

Chain Suppliers- Australia

G'Day, 

I'm on the look out for the type of chain used for making boot scooting/line dancing straps . I can get the aluminium   nic or gilt plated stuff , but I'm looking for something  stronger, as in the type used for dog  & horse leads ( thats another future thought ) . Thats what I've been using, about 5-6mm .  There seems to be an increase in boot scooters/ line dancers  lately  for me , so I'm thinking ahead. 

Any suppliers in Australia? 

No doubt there are suppliers O/S, but with  the Oz  $$$ in the toilet  , it would make it a bit ex$y . 

Thanks

HS  :)

Just a quick correction, the chain I use is around 10mm, not the 5-6mm I mentioned before . 

Might have to put the call out to a few leather suppliers. The alloy stuff simply wouldn't be strong enough for dog  & horse leads . 

HS

Did you try hardware and fastener wholesalers? Not sure if HD supply has presence in Oz. They carry chains. Eh, I mean, they sell them.

I had a good look in our hardware chain ( pardon the pun), we have 'Bunnings'  , they have some chain , but not the stuff I want  .  I'll just have to persevere and  keep searching thats all.  But thanks for the suggestion . 

HS 

Do you have any builder's merchants? Places dedicated to just the professional building trade?

I used to get hardware from a builders merchant. It was both superior, better quality and cheaper than the DIY type hardware places

Without an image I cannot really think of what you are looking for but builders merchants often keep a variety of types of chain; for fencing, chain-loop locks et cetera. I used to get one heavy duty type to make tyre winter-chains, another type for keeping certain livestock tied up, another type for the chain-loop locks on gates and trailers and my motorcycle.

@fredk Heres a pic of what I am looking for, chrome & gilt plated, 10-12mm for boot scooting/boot straps, and later,  dog leads & horse leads. ( brass chain would be better for horse leads) 

Sometimes called ' curb' chain' or 'twisted chain'. 

Our hardware chain, Bunnings ( no pun intended)  doesn't supply rolls of the stuff, only small ' hobby' lengths .  We do have a  haberdashery chain as well, but they only supply soft alloy chain mainly for hobby use. 

I'll just have to keep searching  :) 

HS

Chain Pic.jpg

Update: I went looking for a vase in a discount shop , (Aussies know them as ' Red Dot' )  , no vases, but what I did find was chrome chain dog leads, 1.2mtr ,  made   with exactly what I was looking for. So, as they were cheap, I bought x 4 only 3 bucks each . Worked out cheaper than buying from a supplier , even our hardware chain ( pardon the pun) doesn't supply it  , they have everything else but...... go figure? 

I now know where to get my chrome chain supplies . Might get some more on Thursday as they also had some heavier chrome chain as well. 

Seek and ye shall find 

HS