Warhauk

Airbrushing Leather Dye

I just saw a video of a guy whose preferred method for dying leather is an airbrush. I would have assumed that you would get very little penetration of the dye using an airbrush but it seems like an interesting application method.  Has anybody had any experience either using or receiving a piece that is airbrushed? How does it hold up, how consistent, etc? How do you think it measures up to the other methods of dye application?

you can do some cool stuff with one. It works better than great. especially with some of the lower quality water based dyes. the secret i was given, keep your air pressure low to avoid misting. But other methods create other effects too so its not the only method. I like a mottled appearance on some thing so i use a natural sponge sometimes to apply dyes. with the airbrush i really like the effect of  spraying a black then lightly mist in some iridescent colors over it.

Like anything, it takes practice and some skill, but airbrushing can be a great way to go.  I've seen some beautiful dye jobs that would be difficult to duplicate without an airbrush.  Some like to apply Resolene and similar products, with a air gun.  So it doesn't have to be restricted to dyes.  Regarding penetration, it will be equal to anything short of dip-dyeing, I'd expect.

This project isn't mine, but a good example of what you can accomplish.  And by the way, there are tutorials on youtube by folks that know how to use the equipment.  

Sunburst!!!!! Who is doing it right. I need some advice - Leatherwork  Conversation - Leatherworker.net

On 12/8/2021 at 4:18 PM, Tugadude said:

Like anything, it takes practice and some skill, but airbrushing can be a great way to go.  I've seen some beautiful dye jobs that would be difficult to duplicate without an airbrush.  Some like to apply Resolene and similar products, with a air gun.  So it doesn't have to be restricted to dyes.  Regarding penetration, it will be equal to anything short of dip-dyeing, I'd expect.

This project isn't mine, but a good example of what you can accomplish.  And by the way, there are tutorials on youtube by folks that know how to use the equipment.  

Sunburst!!!!! Who is doing it right. I need some advice - Leatherwork  Conversation - Leatherworker.net

One, and only one, of the videos I've watched, recommended angling the airbrush INTO the piece, instead of away, or off the edge of the piece. I can't say I'm comfortable with that. I'm trying to control the over spray, not accentuate it. Other than that, the amount of dye applied is up to you. One heavy coat, (NOT recommended), two or more light coats, the dye equals the amount applied. It will be more even, that I know. If you're seeing the application circles or strokes with mechanically applied dye, this may be for you. I heartily recommend spraying resoline, cut 50/50. Whatever you do...PRACTICE FIRST! If there's a secret to success, that's it.

gunbeltsamll.jpg

warriorssheathssmall.jpg

Edited by alpha2
add images

19 hours ago, alpha2 said:

One, and only one, of the videos I've watched, recommended angling the airbrush INTO the piece, instead of away, or off the edge of the piece. I can't say I'm comfortable with that. I'm trying to control the over spray, not accentuate it. Other than that, the amount of dye applied is up to you. One heavy coat, (NOT recommended), two or more light coats, the dye equals the amount applied. It will be more even, that I know. If you're seeing the application circles or strokes with mechanically applied dye, this may be for you. I heartily recommend spraying resoline, cut 50/50. Whatever you do...PRACTICE FIRST! If there's a secret to success, that's it.

gunbeltsamll.jpg

warriorssheathssmall.jpg

I especially like the belt.  Very nice fade to reddish brown.

On 1/23/2022 at 11:40 AM, sbrownn said:

I especially like the belt.  Very nice fade to reddish brown.

Thanks! The sheath on the right was my first ever attempt at airbrushing. I did practice first.

If you are applying your base color with just an airbrush… then a few even light coats are needed to get good penetration. Otherwise you’ll only be dying the top grain only. 
 If you have some veg tan that looks clean and even to the eye when natural but after sponge dying, it turns out uneven like a  camo job. Then applying dye with an airbrush to this type of leather like I mentioned (few even coat) will result in a much even color. 

On this red leather cover, I mopped on the red pro oil dye with a wool pad. When dried, I airbrushed (faded) dark brown pro oil dye. I too angle my airbrush in towards the direction I intend to fade. Along my edges I apply it in a 90 degree. I do this simultaneously keeping the dye flowing,  not in steps stopping as it will leave a hard line. Hope that makes sense. 

97A6ABFB-9FB8-49A1-8730-C1374F1FB1B0.jpeg

There's a LOT done right on that piece!

Thanks alpha2. 

Here is the other side of that CC holder I made. Originally was going to paint the schnauzer in color but after showing this photo update to the customer he decided to leave it as is. 

Btw, my air compressor is set to 120psi which makes fading in colors better. If you run with a low psi (under 25) you risk getting a splattered effect.  I used to be  a T-shirt airbrush artist and ran with 80 psi on fabric and metal. Just had to move fast

84506324-F4E5-42DC-BC22-8A30AF341281.jpeg

Edited by chriscraft