riy

Hello from CO

Hello everyone,

Very grateful to be a part of this excellent community. I've been learning a lot here already. I really enjoy this "old" message board format over reddit, facebook, etc. Looking forward to learning more and getting honest feedback as I move forward with this great craft.

I have been practicing hand stitching and learning the basics, but I am about to start learning how to use an industrial sewing machine at a makerspace I work at. The makerspace also has 3D printers and lasers, so I hope to experiment with incorporating some of these newer technologies into this ancient craft.

So far I have made a handful of these Field Notes covers, minimalist wallets, and a few no-stitch pouches. I'm sure I can find some if I search around, but if anyone has any favorite resources for free patterns, I'd welcome them. Hoping to branch out more now that I will be machine sewing.

Cheers!

-R

IMG_20211216_124453-01.jpeg

Welcome @riy, as you will find there is a whole lotta stuff you can learn here and enjoy the interactions and help from other members. What may I ask are the sewing machine types available to you at the market place? Getting some good advise on the sewing machines suitable for your needs is always a great idea and there are many here can help with making that choice a god one. 3d printers and lasers are also something I use every day and would recommend highly to to anyone getting into producing leather goods these days. Recently I found I could make up good acrylic stamps with my little diode laser - DSC01773_resize.JPG

With the 3d printer I can make folder guides for making up straps pretty much any width and thickness I want -DSC01460_resize.JPG

Another regular use of the 3d printer is making the moulds for wet moulding products -

DSC00066_resize.JPG

DSC00113_resize.JPG

Have fun and I wish you a Merry Christmas.

12 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Welcome @riy, as you will find there is a whole lotta stuff you can learn here and enjoy the interactions and help from other members. What may I ask are the sewing machine types available to you at the market place? Getting some good advise on the sewing machines suitable for your needs is always a great idea and there are many here can help with making that choice a god one. 3d printers and lasers are also something I use every day and would recommend highly to to anyone getting into producing leather goods these days. Recently I found I could make up good acrylic stamps with my little diode laser - DSC01773_resize.JPG

With the 3d printer I can make folder guides for making up straps pretty much any width and thickness I want -DSC01460_resize.JPG

Another regular use of the 3d printer is making the moulds for wet moulding products -

DSC00066_resize.JPG

DSC00113_resize.JPG

Have fun and I wish you a Merry Christmas.

@RockyAussie Thank you so much for the reply. Some great inspiration about the possibilities of 3D printing and laser cutting. That acrylic stamp came out great!

The maker space has a Juki DNU-1541S and a Kingmax GC1541S. I can't recall what Class those are considered, but I read up on some of the advice here and am going to start experimenting with some #69 thread and a size 18 leather needle.

Welcome from Fort Collins!

-Jeff

Welcome, @riy! Fellow Coloradan here. 

Also in Colorado. Pueblo County. Retired for 6 now. Used to average about 2000 orders per year for customers in 50 US states and 33 other countries.

43 years of cutting, fitting, stitching, and hide-pounding were hard on the hands, wrists, elbows, and shoulders. Arthritis, carpal tunnel, cubital tunnel, just plain worn out old body. Anti-inflammatory prescription with the morning coffee helps me get my hands and fingers working for the day. Sold the business and now I'm a "consultant" for the new owners producing my designs and their own innovations.