MtlBiker

Bell Skiver: Techsew SK-4 vs Consew DCS-4?

Both these machines (new) are available locally.  Both are almost exactly the same price.  Neither has a vacuum but I'm hoping to somehow connect my large ShopVac to either one.  The Techsew has a much smaller table (which for me and my limited space is a real advantage) while the Consew has a large 20" x 48" table but also has a drawer for tools, a light, etc.

Both machines are probably clones of the same (whatever) original machine.

Anyone here have opinions on these machines?  (I know Techsew is a site sponsor here, but I'm hoping for unbiased opinions.)

Thanks

Edited by MtlBiker

These are clones of the Fortuna bottom feed bell knife skiver. Techsew has four bell knife skivers listed, including one with a vacuum hose port.

What you need to know is that the drive is accomplished by an oblong shaped wheel that revolves under the round blade. There are soft rubber, hard stone and serrated metal wheels available. The soft wheel is strictly for garment or chap leather. The stone wheel is pretty standard and can push along cowhide garment leather (but probably not soft Plonge), up to medium temper veg-tan (up to maybe 12 ounces). The steel wheel is meant for hard belt, sole and saddle skirting leather. Some used skiving machines may have more than one roller and presser foot included from the previous owner. That will save you a lot of money over having to buy them later.

Most parts for Fortuna clones are commonly available, especially the material rollers, presser feet and bell knives. Other parts that wear and need replacement are the movable disks that sharpen and hone the top of the cutting blade and an optional roller under the blade to remove burrs after sharpening the top. My machine lacks the bottom deburrer so I use a fine hand held sanding stick that came with the machine.

If you have any pictures of them then I would post them if you can first. Find out what accessories like feet etc that each comes with and also if the seller is able to give any help on how to adjust them. Ask to see them running and skiving and if they can't or will not do that then take the other if they will. Take some leather pieces to try out. If the bell can be moved up or down or back and forward by hand then give it a miss.

12 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

Both these machines (new) are available locally.

Since both suppliers are close I would check and see what additional parts are supplied with the machines like 1) Deburring tool to remove burrs off the inside of the knife 2) Metal roller to get rid of the material that builds up on the outside of the grinding / sharpening stone, I think Consew calls theirs something like Super Radar roller. If both are equally equipped then it is down to whoever gives the best price.

kgg

14 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

If you have any pictures of them then I would post them if you can first. Find out what accessories like feet etc that each comes with and also if the seller is able to give any help on how to adjust them. Ask to see them running and skiving and if they can't or will not do that then take the other if they will. Take some leather pieces to try out. If the bell can be moved up or down or back and forward by hand then give it a miss.

Thanks to Covid (I guess) it's not possible to visit the Techsew showroom/offices, so trying before buying can't be done.  But it would be a brand new machine.  And the Consew is also brand new and would have to be set up in order to try it, and I doubt if that's going to happen.  So I'm kinda relying on the manufacturers' websites for descriptions as well as YouTube videos and reviews/comments here.  It seems that both are similarly equipped and may indeed be the same machine but with different branding. One of the dealers two days ago promised to call me back in half an hour with the best pricing.  I'm still waiting.  It looks like they don't really want my business.  So very likely I will go with the other one, who's even offered to have his guys deliver it to me without charge.  It's looking like my choice is made.

I may have a new skiver by the weekend.