LePoisson

Servo Shopping

I recently picked up a Pfaff 545 at auction. I positioned it in the garage where I do my work and... ignored it for the past couple months. 

Last night I went out to try running it and the motor buzzed and hummed for a few minutes, then went silent. Pressing the foot pedal and engaging the clutch by hand, nothing happened. This may be repairable, it may just mean my garage is too damned cold right now (it is) but really, I intended to convert this over to a servo motor anyhow, so I think I have an excuse. 

I've done a preliminary search of the forum and found a lot of posts advising to convert machines to servo, but not a lot of details on the servos themselves.

This brings me to 2 questions...

1. I'd really prefer to buy from a fellow Canuck on here, is there a recommended Canadian expert in the house? 

2. My local shop has "a servo that will work" for $350. They can tell me details tomorrow when it arrives in the store. Sounds like a fair price? I mean, I got no details on the unit - not even a brand, so I am having a hard time. I suspect no one else knows either.

3. Is there anything in particular I should beware of? I believe I just want a 550 W motor with a separate controller and motor, and a 110V lamp plug. I think I would prefer a dial adjustment but that's sort of a personal preference thing. Are there brands to avoid/look for?

Edited by LePoisson

16 minutes ago, LePoisson said:

I recently picked up a Pfaff 545 at auction. I positioned it in the garage where I do my work and... ignored it for the past couple months. 

Last night I went out to try running it and the motor buzzed and hummed for a few minutes, then went silent. Pressing the foot pedal and engaging the clutch by hand, nothing happened. This may be repairable, it may just mean my garage is too damned cold right now (it is) but really, I intended to convert this over to a servo motor anyhow, so I think I have an excuse. 

I've done a preliminary search of the forum and found a lot of posts advising to convert machines to servo, but not a lot of details on the servos themselves.

This brings me to 2 questions...

1. I'd really prefer to buy from a fellow Canuck on here, is there a recommended Canadian expert in the house? 

2. My local shop has "a servo that will work" for $350. They can tell me details tomorrow when it arrives in the store. Sounds like a fair price? I mean, I got no details on the unit - not even a brand, so I am having a hard time. I suspect no one else knows either.

3. Is there anything in particular I should beware of? I believe I just want a 550 W motor with a separate controller and motor, and a 110V lamp plug. I think I would prefer a dial adjustment but that's sort of a personal preference thing. Are there brands to avoid/look for?

No!  Don't pay $350 for that servo!!  Instead, call Chris at Japan Sewing at 905-764-0100.  He has very good servo motors (I bought one from him) at a much more reasonable price.  I suspect your "local shop" is doubling the price from their cost.  When I bought one from Chris less than a year ago, I paid $168 cdn, including courier shipping to Montreal.

Chris was recommended to me by another Canadian member on this board and I've now bought several things from him and have always been very happy.

50 minutes ago, LePoisson said:

My local shop has "a servo that will work" for $350.

A bit on the high side but if local it is kind of Okay. Try to buy one with the standard diameter keyed shaft because the latest models have just a threaded shaft and a nut, and old pulleys that can be found on clutch motors do not fit them.

The old 'Family' brand that I no longer see on eBay had a dial adjustment. New ones seem to have up and down buttons. Rex is the brand if I remember correctly. I prefer Family.

Edited by DrmCa

28 minutes ago, MtlBiker said:

No!  Don't pay $350 for that servo!!  Instead, call Chris at Japan Sewing at 905-764-0100. 

Totally agree, Chris has good prices on parts, machines (Juki and clones) and servo motors. I have bought my Juki's 1541S and 1181N from him as well as his clone version of the Juki LS-1341 and have always been pleased both the price and service.

55 minutes ago, LePoisson said:

My local shop has "a servo that will work" for $350.

Seems on high, high end of pricing.

55 minutes ago, LePoisson said:

Is there anything in particular I should beware of? I believe I just want a 550 W motor with a separate controller and motor, and a 110V lamp plug. I think I would prefer a dial adjustment but that's sort of a personal preference thing. Are there brands to avoid/look for?

I run 550 watt brushed servo motors, the ones with the little round speed dial, on all my machines with no problems. I think most of the brushed servo motors are probably made the same and probably in the same Chinese factory just with a different branding name stuck to the side. I like the simplicity and proven tract record of the brushed motors.  

kgg

HI.  Check with Ron at TechSew in Montreal, they support this website and advertise on the top banner.  Good luck, Techsew prices and future support are highly rated.

Layo