AzShooter

A New Shooting Bag

I still have some finishing work to do but I think this will be my new shooting bag.

It's made from Buffalo.  Soft leather but very hard to work with.  10 ounce but not stiff enough so there's a 2 - 3 ounce veg tan liner in it.

Holds my backup gun, ammo, magazines, tools and accessories.

The box if for my magazines and it holds 12 of them.  

I tried OxBlood for the interior and it matches up pretty well with the Red box.

I need to do the edges and finish up the bottom to match the seams.  It's still a work in progress but I wanted to get it put together so I can see what else I need to do.  

It's my first bag and I hope to improve on it.

Shooting Bag before edge work.jpg

I think it looks pretty good. There will always be room for improvement.  And trying new materials is always a learning experience. 

Thought I'd show the interior.  Plenty of room.

Inside the bag.jpg

I like it !!!

That is a good first bag! Those handles are tough to do.

4 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

That is a good first bag! Those handles are tough to do.

Ain't that the truth. I just did my first rolled handle, and it was a learning experience. The type of closure/seam OP did is what almost all the videos show. I had to do a baseball stitch, just to make it harder. My next one will be better! 

AZShooter, I haven't tried to make a shooting bag yet. Are you saying a thicker, stiffer leather would have been better? Does it stay open on it's own with your liner? That Oxblood is some colorful stuff! 

I made a shellbox for trap shooting, but haven't even used it yet.

Jeff

1 hour ago, alpha2 said:

AZShooter, I haven't tried to make a shooting bag yet. Are you saying a thicker, stiffer leather would have been better? Does it stay open on it's own with your liner? That Oxblood is some colorful stuff! 

Jeff

The thickness is good but it's very soft leather and doesn't allow skiving so that you can get a miter corner. It does stay open on it's own.  There are grooves on the edges that lets the leather stay that way.