tsunkasapa

New Collar

One of our friends was by the other day and happened to mention that one of her sled dogs had broken his collar. She had saved it because she liked the brass hardware, but the leather had torn at the brass ring. I told her I didn't know WHO could possibly fix it:whistle:.  Two days later I sent her these pictures. She was very happy.

9/10oz veg with 2oz goat lining.

IMG_20220124_202616aaa.jpg

IMG_20220124_202620bbb.jpg

IMG_20220124_202634ccc.jpg

Nice indeed!! How is that goat for wear? I haven't used any yet.

She must have been thrilled with that collar. I make a lot of collars, but never figured out what the ring is for. Someone once said it was so the strap could stretch, but I don't see how that is going to effect the stretch at all.

I wonder how many people just toss excellent brass hardware when something comes apart. Hurts to think about it. 

I was in a second-hand shop in Steamboat Springs, and was looking for items with good hardware. There were a lot of tooled belts, well worn, but all the buckles had been removed! Bummer.

6 minutes ago, alpha2 said:

She must have been thrilled with that collar. I make a lot of collars, but never figured out what the ring is for. Someone once said it was so the strap could stretch, but I don't see how that is going to effect the stretch at all.

I wonder how many people just toss excellent brass hardware when something comes apart. Hurts to think about it. 

I was in a second-hand shop in Steamboat Springs, and was looking for items with good hardware. There were a lot of tooled belts, well worn, but all the buckles had been removed! Bummer.

i hit up the thrift stores around here for buckles as well the local Bomgar's store. They put a bunch of dog collars on clearance for 3 bucks last year, i bought them all just for their hardware lol.

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

Nice indeed!! How is that goat for wear? I haven't used any yet.

Thanks. I have lined some holsters with it, and it seems to be holding up fine. It seems to be about like any other 2oz, but Crazy Crow had the hides for $19.99 last year, so I bought 4. I like working with it.

1 hour ago, alpha2 said:

She must have been thrilled with that collar. I make a lot of collars, but never figured out what the ring is for.

She was very happy, said it was better than when it was new. When sled dogs are hooked up in a tandem hitch, the harness is hooked to the tug lines, and the collar is hooked to the neck line. The ring keeps the buckle out of the way for hooking or unhooking, especially with gloves on. For the record, the dogs do not pull with the neck line, it is only to keep them in line with everyone else.

looks really nice stitching looks great also  

4 hours ago, Samalan said:

looks really nice stitching looks great also  

Thank you.

16 hours ago, alpha2 said:

Probably fewer than you think because brass hardware is becoming rare. And the cheap crap will wear out before the leather or nylon around it. I've been saving hardware all my life, even plastic, but Khazan's headcollar went straight to the trash after his death, there was nothing worth saving.

@tsunkasapa Beautiful collar and thanks for explaining the ring.