daman1974

Singer 133k questions

Hi all, first time caller here.  I just bought a singer 133k.  The label says 133SV1 but after reading some posts here and finding a website to match the serial numbers I think it is a 133k built in 1940.  Anyhow,  I was wondering if anyone knows where to get a manual for this thing.  I bought it because I make knives and leather sheaths.  The guy said it was made to sew boot soles?  So I figured it would be powerful enough for what I want to do.  Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Can you post some pictures of your machine please? Some 133K´s were darning machines. I don´t know the 133KSV1 so would be good to see some pictures.

I once owned a 133K3 which was a quite nice drop feed machine.

Edited by Constabulary

I will try.  I have to change the files so that they are small enough to be allowed.  

It looks like there were only 500 of these machines allotted.

singer.jpg

Edited by daman1974
added picture

Thats what I almost expected - it unfortunately is a darning machine not a sewing machine. It has a typical darning foot and no stitch length adjuster and no feed dog for feeding the material.

Edited by Constabulary

Basically you cannot sew knife sheaths with it. And for sure no one ever has sew boot soles on it. The guy who told you this did not know what he was talking about - I´m sorrry!

Darning machines are for darning sacks or closing sacks.

Edited by Constabulary

as sad as it is but you may get more for this machine in parts and for the nice stand, large thread stand, bobbin winder, hand wheel....  than for the whole machine sold as daring machine. A lot of parts are compatible with other 133K / 132K models not all but for sure many.

My 2 cents ;)

BTW - this is a manual (download link) for the 133K6 but it´s not for the darning type but you may notice the differences:

https://leatherworker.net/forum/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=145755

Edited by Constabulary

What Constabulary forgot to mention is it's an SV machine and manuals don't exist for them. Many Singer models had SV versions in their range, the best you can do is try and match it to a standard model and use that manual.

It may have been used for quilting horse blankets as well.

See if a feed dog can be installed. That's how I got by DDL-553: as a quilting machine w/o feed dog and with a ring quilting foot. After I've put a feed dog and regular foot on it it became a straight stitcher.

Thank you all for your information.  I really do appreciate it.  @Constabulary I have thought about that as well.  Kind of like parting out an old car.  A lot of times people are looking for that one piece that they can't seem to find.

Daman,

I think you could easily sell that machine if you decided not to try and convert it to a straight stitcher (great ideas others posted here).

Looking at the foot, I'd say that is a spoon foot for embroidery. Or spoon glider. I once bought a very old Singer (241-12_ that had one of those feet on it. The machine used to be a regular straight stitcher, but the feed dogs had been dropped or removed and put on a longarm frame for quilting. It was heavy, but it worked for the purpose. It was my first real Industrial machine. It was not pretty but it was a Singer and I do love Singers!

Anyhow, I bring this up not because I think your machine could be used in that way, but because I think it might make a good machine for an Artist who made wall hangings. The Artist could just sit down in front of it and move the work around in any direction to create designs. You could use it with hooped fabric, or create a flat table for it and push an unhooped piece of fabric around on the table. If you knew you could use various weights of decorative threads and such, it could possibly be a good machine for that type of work. Maybe make an example of something like that to show a potential Buyer/Artist who might buy your machine. There are many lovers of the old Singers out there who would find a way to use it and display it, simply because it is a beautiful piece of Sewing History!

Wish I had room for it myself! :)

Edited by suzelle