OldNSlowMarine

1911 with square trigger guard mold

Does anyone know of a source that is making a 1911 mold with a square trigger guard? With the release of the Springfield Armory Emissary line, I'd really like to be able to make holsters for them. I've already contacted John at Ring's and there's not enough requests for them to justify producing molds yet. 

Cut the round one off . . . screw on a piece of pine . . . and shape it on a belt sander . . . 

Piece of cake.

May God bless,

Dwight

Maker's Leather .com has the 1911 with the squared trigger guard.

18 hours ago, AzShooter said:

Maker's Leather .com has the 1911 with the squared trigger guard.

Do you mean Maker's Leather Supply? If so, I'm not seeing it. They only carry Blue Guns. Blue Guns does not produce a 1911 with a square trigger guard. They make a Staccato 2011 which has a square trigger guard. But that's not at all what I want. Big difference between Springfield Emissary 1911s and the Staccato 2011s.

18 hours ago, Dwight said:

Cut the round one off . . . screw on a piece of pine . . . and shape it on a belt sander . . . 

Piece of cake.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks for the input. I have considered something along these lines. But that's not my first course of action. That's why I'm here asking if anyone knows of any molds yet. 

I saw one on MakersLeatherSupply.com the other day.  Sorry if it's not there any longer.

Although Dwight's Solution would probably be stronger, I too didn't want to permanently alter my blue gun. So, took a chunk of hard wood and rough shaped it ( on the belt sander) then finish trimmed it with my pocket knife to final shape so that when placed on the front of the round guard, it mimicked the Squair guard on my son's pistol. I temporarily attached it with contact cement and used black tape to secure it. Worked for me. The tape and glue came off without much effort and a little rub down with peroxide cleaned up what little residue that was left.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
-Col. Jeff Cooper

59 minutes ago, JSage said:

Although Dwight's Solution would probably be stronger, I too didn't want to permanently alter my blue gun. So, took a chunk of hard wood and rough shaped it ( on the belt sander) then finish trimmed it with my pocket knife to final shape so that when placed on the front of the round guard, it mimicked the Squair guard on my son's pistol. I temporarily attached it with contact cement and used black tape to secure it. Worked for me. The tape and glue came off without much effort and a little rub down with peroxide cleaned up what little residue that was left.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
-Col. Jeff Cooper

I make molds for trigger guard mounted laser sights that same way, I just use tape to attach them. Works fine for me.

3 hours ago, JSage said:

-Col. Jeff Cooper

Glad to see I'm not the only redneck on here  This makes at least 3 of us . . . 

2 hours ago, Charley1 said:

I make molds for trigger guard mounted laser sights that same way, I just use tape to attach them. Works fine for me.

14 hours ago, JSage said:

-Col. Jeff Cooper

Do you have a picture?

11 hours ago, Dwight said:

Glad to see I'm not the only redneck on here  This makes at least 3 of us . . . 

Do you have a picture Dwight

5 hours ago, OldNSlowMarine said:

Do you have a picture?

Do you have a picture Dwight

No . . .  I didn't do the alteration . . . but I've got an extension I made for a Glock barrel . . . needed a full size . . . only have the next smaller one . . . added the barrel . . . made the holster . . . shipped it . . . he was happy as a lark.

I also made a model of a S&W 29 to get a holster for another order.  

Sometimes ya just gotta go with what you have or can get quickly . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

No, sorry OldNSlow, I didn't take one. And I don't know what I did with that "extension". It may have found the trash.

-Col. Jeff Cooper

Thanks Dwight! I'll wear that handle with pride. :cowboy:

-Col. Jeff Cooper

Jason,

Dwight's approach seems fine.  But, I have used Plastic Wood in the past for such.  You have to clean the bluegun before applying the PW.  Once it dries, a little time with a file / Dremel dresses it up nicely.  Fairly durable.  Wouldn't use it with a hydraulic press, tho.  Hand molding only. 

I am a  hobbiest, and have enjoyed making a lot of "custom", one-off projects.  I don't charge much for my work.  However, I have learned that sometimes, it is best to say no.  Firstly, you will irrevocably alter a $60 bluegun.  And, may as well figure the cost of the bluegun and materials required to alter the bluegun.  And your time customizing the dummy gun.

Your work is exceptional.  I am sure you won't be satisfied with less than stellar results.  But, hey, if the guy owns a owns a vintage Armond Swenson, or Jim Hoag, or other such custom iron and is willing to handsomely pay for some finely crafted leather, I'd go for it.   Good luck.

Muzzleblast.

Edited by muzzleblast

10 hours ago, muzzleblast said:

Jason,

Dwight's approach seems fine.  But, I have used Plastic Wood in the past for such.  You have to clean the bluegun before applying the PW.  Once it dries, a little time with a file / Dremel dresses it up nicely.  Fairly durable.  Wouldn't use it with a hydraulic press, tho.  Hand molding only. 

I am a  hobbiest, and have enjoyed making a lot of "custom", one-off projects.  I don't charge much for my work.  However, I have learned that sometimes, it is best to say no.  Firstly, you will irrevocably alter a $60 bluegun.  And, may as well figure the cost of the bluegun and materials required to alter the bluegun.  And your time customizing the dummy gun.

Your work is exceptional.  I am sure you won't be satisfied with less than stellar results.  But, hey, if the guy owns a owns a vintage Armond Swenson, or Jim Hoag, or other such custom iron and is willing to handsomely pay for some finely crafted leather, I'd go for it.   Good luck.

Muzzleblast.

Thank you Gordon! I was able to find an aluminum 4.25-inch mold. Speaking with the gentleman I bought it from, he recommends JB Weld steel putty. Hopefully it'll hold for a while. I don't have a press so hopefully it'll hold up to my hand-molding. It should last longer than some of the 'yellow' molds anyway lol. It's one of those things that I'm only doing it because I have an itch that needs to be scratched. I'm seeing all these folks picking up the S.A. Emissary 1911s and I can't make a holster for them. I may never be able to unless Blue Guns starts making a mold, but I'm going to give it a try.