MtlBiker

Awl too tight or blade too big??

This is the second awl I have bought which doesn't seem to be correct...  This one is an Osborne 141 Awl Haft.  I also bought three Osborne awl blades (2 1/4" 57mm, 1 1/2" 38mm and 2" 50mm) which were indicated as the proper ones for the 141.  But they don't fit!!  If I unscrew and remove the threaded locking collar I can pry open the jaws barely enough to get the awl blade in, but then I cannot replace the locking collar.  SIGH  Is it possible that they sent me the wrong products?

(I had a similar problem with the Tandy no-name awl haft and their blades, but by using pliers to force the blade into the haft I managed, but IMHO a blade should fit easily and then should be able to be tightened.  But the Osborne one is simply no go.)

Surely this isn't the way it's supposed to be.

IMG_9880.JPG

30 minutes ago, MtlBiker said:

This is the second awl I have bought which doesn't seem to be correct...  This one is an Osborne 141 Awl Haft.  I also bought three Osborne awl blades (2 1/4" 57mm, 1 1/2" 38mm and 2" 50mm) which were indicated as the proper ones for the 141.  But they don't fit!!  If I unscrew and remove the threaded locking collar I can pry open the jaws barely enough to get the awl blade in, but then I cannot replace the locking collar.  SIGH  Is it possible that they sent me the wrong products?

(I had a similar problem with the Tandy no-name awl haft and their blades, but by using pliers to force the blade into the haft I managed, but IMHO a blade should fit easily and then should be able to be tightened.  But the Osborne one is simply no go.)

IMG_9880.JPG

i would fix the haft not monkey with the blade. you can run a small drill bit if there is a hole in the center or sand or file the slot larger or both. It shouldn't take much. I wish i had experiece to help you with those but i make my own. 

Check out the CS Osborne description of haft #141. "Hardwood handle. Clear lacquer finish. Brass chuck designed to hold thinner awls or larger needles. Knurled chuck makes it easy to tighten manually."  I use the same awl shown above with their hafts #142 and #144 for sewing up to about 16 oz of leather.  I like the peg awl haft #143 for heavier projects.  In addition to sharpening the Osborne awls you might like to reshape the point slightly with a gradual taper - more pointy.

Yeah if I remember right the first awl like that I got I could not get the blades to fit either. In frustration I ground down a screw driver which now and then I still make use of. You can get blades that do fit but being able to knock up your own comes in handy caus you can make them to suit the job better sometimes. Here's that old screwdriver one  -

DSC03016_resize.JPG

DSC03013_resize.JPG

1 hour ago, TomE said:

Check out the CS Osborne description of haft #141. "Hardwood handle. Clear lacquer finish. Brass chuck designed to hold thinner awls or larger needles. Knurled chuck makes it easy to tighten manually."  I use the same awl shown above with their hafts #142 and #144 for sewing up to about 16 oz of leather.  I like the peg awl haft #143 for heavier projects.  In addition to sharpening the Osborne awls you might like to reshape the point slightly with a gradual taper - more pointy.

Thank you.  What about #145?  That seems to be the only model in stock at Canadian sources at the moment.  I only found one source for #142 but it's out of stock.  And ordering an awl from the US almost triples the cost once exchange rate and shipping are added.  I guess I'm not risking much by ordering the 145.  And probably a couple more awls.  (Learning the correct terms here... the handle is called a "haft" and the blade, an "awl"?)

So I guess that in spite of being told the haft I bought worked with the awls I bought, they don't really.  SIGH

1 hour ago, MtlBiker said:

Thank you.  What about #145?  That seems to be the only model in stock at Canadian sources at the moment.  I only found one source for #142 but it's out of stock.  And ordering an awl from the US almost triples the cost once exchange rate and shipping are added.  I guess I'm not risking much by ordering the 145.  And probably a couple more awls.  (Learning the correct terms here... the handle is called a "haft" and the blade, an "awl"?)

Yes, the 145 has the same chuck as the other hafts I listed and it "holds all Osborne awls."  It's as good as any of them.  You're correct about the definition of haft and awl.  If you're new to sharpening an awl, I follow Al Stohlman's method and stroke on a stone or wet/dry paper moving back and forth parallel to the long axis of the awl.  Need to watch carefully that you keep each of the four faces flat on the sharpener.  I strop on the grain side of heavy veg tan coated with green jeweler's rouge.  For stropping, I draw the blade towards me and move slightly sideways away from the cutting edge.  You will end up with a diamond profile that has 2 cutting edges and 2 obtuse noncutting edges.  Takes time but once you have a really sharp awl it will be a pleasure to use.

Edited by TomE

Try putting the locking collar on the awl blade (on the blunt end), then force the blade into the jaws and then screw down the collar. I believe that's what I did when I had new, big blades and my grandmother's old haft.

(Then the jaws came loose from the wood and I bought a Vergez Blanchard haft https://www.decocuir.com/manche-alene-mandrin-manche-747-vergez-blanchard-c2x17295710 which solved that problem. And created a new one because the haft is too big for my hand. But rasp and sandpaper took care of that)

4 hours ago, Klara said:

Try putting the locking collar on the awl blade (on the blunt end), then force the blade into the jaws and then screw down the collar. I believe that's what I did when I had new, big blades and my grandmother's old haft.

(Then the jaws came loose from the wood and I bought a Vergez Blanchard haft https://www.decocuir.com/manche-alene-mandrin-manche-747-vergez-blanchard-c2x17295710 which solved that problem. And created a new one because the haft is too big for my hand. But rasp and sandpaper took care of that)

Thank you Klara, but I've found out that it simply was the wrong haft for the awl.  I've now ordered a different Osborne haft (#145) and some more awls (because I might screw them up sharpening them).  The one I'd bought says, "Brass chuck designed to hold thinner awls or larger needles."  I should have checked the CS Osborne site before I ordered because the combo I got just doesn't work.

3 minutes ago, MtlBiker said:

Thank you Klara, but I've found out that it simply was the wrong haft for the awl.  I've now ordered a different Osborne haft (#145) and some more awls (because I might screw them up sharpening them).  The one I'd bought says, "Brass chuck designed to hold thinner awls or larger needles."  I should have checked the CS Osborne site before I ordered because the combo I got just doesn't work.

man your having a heck of a time just getting the basics.  I bypassed all this stuff i use one needle size and made my own awl haft combo lol. Now i remember why. Hang in there friend!!:)

4 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

man your having a heck of a time just getting the basics.  I bypassed all this stuff i use one needle size and made my own awl haft combo lol. Now i remember why. Hang in there friend!!:)

What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!  Right?  :)

One of the challenges is to find a supplier in Canada, or at least one that doesn't charge more for shipping than the cost of the item.  And I'm very much dependent on information on sellers' websites.  And of course this great site!  Thank you (and others) for your great help!

12 hours ago, TomE said:

Yes, the 145 has the same chuck as the other hafts I listed and it "holds all Osborne awls."  It's as good as any of them.  You're correct about the definition of haft and awl.  If you're new to sharpening an awl, I follow Al Stohlman's method and stroke on a stone or wet/dry paper moving back and forth parallel to the long axis of the awl.  Need to watch carefully that you keep each of the four faces flat on the sharpener.  I strop on the grain side of heavy veg tan coated with green jeweler's rouge.  For stropping, I draw the blade towards me and move slightly sideways away from the cutting edge.  You will end up with a diamond profile that has 2 cutting edges and 2 obtuse noncutting edges.  Takes time but once you have a really sharp awl it will be a pleasure to use.

Yes, I'm new to sharpening awls.  What was your first clue?  :)

Is that in the Stohlman book on hand stitching?  I'm slowly working my way through that, with of course too many YouTube videos thrown in.

I'm finding my eyesight makes it hard to see the cutting edges on the awl.  Probably need a new prescription and glasses.  SIGH

3 minutes ago, MtlBiker said:

What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!  Right?  :)

One of the challenges is to find a supplier in Canada, or at least one that doesn't charge more for shipping than the cost of the item.  And I'm very much dependent on information on sellers' websites.  And of course this great site!  Thank you (and others) for your great help!

i understand your purchasing problems completly i live in Wyoming a state witha total population of just over 500,000. my town has a walmart and one grocery store. the next closest town is 100 miles away and has a walmart and maybe two grocery stores lol. the closest Tandy is 150 miles over two mountian passes that are not fun in winter.When i was young it was even more desolate so i learned at a young age to make, make do or go without.

19 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

IMG_9880.JPG

A pass or two on each face of the base with a file. Do one pass, try it, do another until it will slip in.