rcsaddles

Making A Leather Tube

I am trying to make a leather tube for a spyglass to fit in. I am windering if anyone has any suggestion on the best and easiest way to stitch the bottom in? I have not done one of these before and would greatly appreciate some info before I get started.

Thanks,

Take a look at this, . . . it is pretty much what you want to do, . . . but for a holster.

May God bless,

Dwight

Joe, I did one recently for a spotting scope. I laced it with rawhide. Sorry, I didn't think to take pictures. Looked nice & the rawhide lace will take a lot abuse & wear well. Buck

Just had another thought scrolling down thru the forums, there is a forum for archery quivers that should have some good info. Buck

I made one recently and inset the bottom after wet forming to the diameter I needed. I used a hole saw to cut the mould piece with.

With the "open" end of the bottom piece pointing down, I placed the piece in place, anchored it with a few push pins, and then used my awl to push through for sewing holes. To make sure the piece stayed in place, and to provide a bit of resistance, I held a pink rubber eraser on the inside of the bottom and pushed the awl into that through the leather while also holding the needed pressure on the bottom to keep it in the correct location?

Did that help or is it as clear as mud?

Edited by CTaylorJr

i believe stohlman's first book on hand stitching leather has instruction on making a dice cup. it's got good illustrations. i made the dice cup. and if I can do it, anyone can. of course, if you don't have this book.....well......i'll shut up now.

Depending on the diameter of your spy glass, you'll probably need to make or acquire some curved needles to saddle stitch it.

Thank you all for the information. I think I have a plan now. Buck, good idea on using rawhide, I think I'll do that. Ramrod, what can I say? I know where you are coming from.

I'll post a picture or two when I am finished with this.

Thanks again.