joshk

Pic Request - Bottom Of Stitching

I've been doing quite a bit of research into sewing machines for holster making.... I have noticed there seem to be a few models where people constantly comment about feed dogs marking the bottom of the leather, but there's nothing to use for visual reference.... would it be possible for a few members with a little spare time to post pics of the bottom of their stitching to get an idea about marks being left? in particular I'm thinking of Cowboy CB2500 & CB3500, Techsew GA5-1R, and Cobra Class 3....

my thanks to anyone able to post pics,

Josh

I can only speak about the Cobra. If you use the feed dog it ships with, it is smooth and will not mark the leather. Mine is a Class 4 and it came with extras including a blanket set dog with aggressive teeth. If you use that you will mark the leather but it will be your own fault, not Cobra's.

Dan

thanks guys! I haven't heard anything bad about the Cowboy CB3500/CB4500 or Cobra Class 3/Class 4.... just wasn't sure if they left any kind of marks too....

the main machine I'm interested in is the Cowboy CB2500.... hopefully somebody has a few pics of that one's stitching they can share....

I think that most of the machine dealers on here will agree with me, under certain conditions, every doggone sewing machine out there will make marks.

IMHO that would not be a test for buying a certain machine, you need to look a lot closer at what the machine you are considering is capable of.

ferg

thanks guys! I haven't heard anything bad about the Cowboy CB3500/CB4500 or Cobra Class 3/Class 4.... just wasn't sure if they left any kind of marks too....

the main machine I'm interested in is the Cowboy CB2500.... hopefully somebody has a few pics of that one's stitching they can share....

I think that most of the machine dealers on here will agree with me, under certain conditions, every doggone sewing machine out there will make marks.

IMHO that would not be a test for buying a certain machine, you need to look a lot closer at what the machine you are considering is capable of.

ferg

all of the machines I'm looking at are fully capable at perfoming the work I need it to.... what I'm worried about is when the manufacturer or dealer states something like this about the CB2500:

"The Cowboy CB2500 has feed dogs to move the material, against a fixed, or roller pressor foot. This may leave visible tooth marks in the bottom layer of leather."

now granted, they do mention that the marks should be able to be easily tooled out.... but I'm wondering how bad they are to begin with....

Edited by joshk

all of the machines I'm looking at are fully capable at perfoming the work I need it to.... what I'm worried about is when the manufacturer or dealer states something like this about the CB2500:

"The Cowboy CB2500 has feed dogs to move the material, against a fixed, or roller pressor foot. This may leave visible tooth marks in the bottom layer of leather."

now granted, they do mention that the marks should be able to be easily tooled out.... but I'm wondering how bad they are to begin with....

It's worth noting that these machines have a completely different feed system to the 3500 etc. The 2500 is based on a long line of machines that hearken back to the Singer 45k. They are what are called drop-feed machines. The feed is just like a regular domestic sewing machine. The only feeding action is from a feed dog underneath the material being sewn, which is pushed onto the feed dog by a presser foot (flat or roller). There needs to be a certain amount of pressure between the feed dogs and the foot for the material to feed.

The 3500, 4500, and 5500 are all compound-feed machines in which the feed dog, presser foot and needle all move together to feed the material. Because of this the feed dogs can be completely smooth (or even omitted for some operations) and the material will still feed fine.

Unfortunately my 45k is out of action or I'd post pictures of the bottom stitching.

Ok,I took a pic here of a sample on a 2500,the first pic is right off the machine & the 2nd is after I rubbed it w/a spoon.

I hope this helps you.

Bob

post-7185-081130800 1316346474_thumb.jpg

post-7185-023006600 1316346538_thumb.jpg

Bob,

You, sir, are awesome! That is exactly what I was looking for. I've got to get the final okay from the boss lady and should be getting with you this week on one.

Thanks again,

Josh

Josh,

I'll be going to the show @ Wichita Falls next week on 9/30&10/1 & if you want to p/u there & save shipping let me know so I have one on board for you.

Thanks,

Bob

Finally got some pics, this is a small card holder. 3 layers of 4oz leather, relatively soft for vegtan. Didnt do anything to any marks on it. Using the 4500 with a 24 needle and 277 thread. Hope this helps.

Also wanna add I am still playing with various adjustments on this guy so dont wanna go and say this is the best it can do.

Also this is with the holster plate, and the right side foot that I got from Bob.

There is one from the front and two from the back.

post-5781-098325300 1316370985_thumb.jpg

post-5781-064476300 1316370992_thumb.jpg

post-5781-006424900 1316370998_thumb.jpg

I've been doing quite a bit of research into sewing machines for holster making.... I have noticed there seem to be a few models where people constantly comment about feed dogs marking the bottom of the leather, but there's nothing to use for visual reference.... would it be possible for a few members with a little spare time to post pics of the bottom of their stitching to get an idea about marks being left? in particular I'm thinking of Cowboy CB2500 & CB3500, Techsew GA5-1R, and Cobra Class 3....

my thanks to anyone able to post pics,

Josh

Here you go Josh, top and bottom stitching with the Techsew GA5-1R. No modification or rubbing of any kind.

Thanks,

Ron

post-7635-019893800 1316451332_thumb.jpg

post-7635-061047500 1316451340_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ronnie

Ok,I took a pic here of a sample on a 2500,the first pic is right off the machine & the 2nd is after I rubbed it w/a spoon.

I was going to ask how you set up a machine/needle to get so little distortion of the leather around the exit holes of the needle, then I noticed the thread tails. I think in the second pic you've got the top-side of the work.

Both pics are of the bottomside.

Bob

Rubbing down the dog tracks would also rub down the blow outs.

Ronnie- What happened to your tension setting!?!?!?

JoshK- What are you planning on doing with the machine? That should be the determining factor. The next step up from the 2500, is the 3500/Cobra class 3/ techsew 4100(?). That machine class has more capability and may be more suitable.....dependent on what you're doing. If you're planning on sewing holsters with it, save up more money and go for more machine; preferably one with unison feed (walking foot plus needle feed).

The next step after the 3500/class 3, the 4500/class 4 has the same sewing capabilities but with almost double the space under the arm.

A well repeated adage on this forum, and from probably all the sewing machine suppliers is: Buy more machine than you think you'll need. It's better to have the capability and not need it, than to run a machine at max capability for prolonged periods....kinda like driving a car over a speed bump at 40mph. Can you do it in a BMW? Yes. Should you do it often? No, it's going to wear out or break something. Could you do it in a jacked up 4x4 with puddle jumping suspension? Yes. Should you? It doesn't really matter, the design of the vehicle won't be damaged by it.

I want to echo TwinOaks. Save up and buy the biggest you can.

I originally thought I could get by with a GA5. Then decided to go with a Artisan 3000/Cobra Class 3. Talking with Steve at Cobra I decided that whether I needed the extra throat or not the extra accessories paid for the Class 4.

So I bought a Cobra Class 4.

Guess what. I was trying to exceed ITS capabilities within a couple of months. And there have been times I wished I had the 25" throat.

This is just doing holsters, rifle scabbards and the occasional piece of horse tack.

You don't know what you really need until you start abusing some poor piece of equipment!

Dan