leatheroo

evil dude

My new tools from barry king arrived today....oh how sweet they are!! On advice from some good friends i thought i would try something different and decided to give the carving thing a go.....this piece is tomswede tattoo flash inspired, thanks tom.

Now i have to decide what to do with him....dye, paint ....decisions to be made. I decided to post a photo before i stuffed up the next stage..if i dont stuff it up, i will post another pic.

cheers

evil_dude.gif

post-4514-1202986184_thumb.jpg

Yup, that's a carboncopy of me! :spoton:

Looking very good and I'm eagerly awating what will happen to me next.

A little helper: My eyes are red.

I think it'll look great when done, maybe some cool shadings with that airbrush would be a nice touch. If I was lucky enough to get my hands on one it would be the first thing I would practice for figure carving.

Keep those creative juices flowing!

Tom

Hey Caroline,

That looks really nice. That's not your first attempt at carving though, is it? You really got some great depth going on in that. I wonder if you could make a carving like that into a mask? I cant wait to see how you color it. I am sure it will look even cooler when you are finished.

Clay

Really nicely done! I didn't know Tom was that evil lookin.

First carving my eye! Looks good, kind of reminds me of my chihuahua, the ears anyway.

Great work Roo,

I just love the grin on the face:-)

excellent piece! looks like a cartoony version of the Green Goblin (yeah, I'm a comic geek).

that came out real sweet!! nice job..got some nice depth,curious what kind of tools did you pick up from barry king? and what did they cost? i wanted to upgrade some of my own soon..

tom, i was not saying that this was you, i got the idea from the tattoo link you sent me, but now that i look again, maybe.....lol

i have carved a few celtic designs on some quivers but other than that my carving lessons were 30 years ago in school and my tools are that old. this was done on 2mm leather, i carved the outlines (with my 30 year old swivel knife that has never been sharpened) then molded the leather from the back with modeling tools that have little balls at the ends. after i was happy with the molding i then did the beveling last. i tried beveling, then molding but the bevel all got push back up.

I used the four tools i bought from barry, two bevelers, one big (he sent the wrong size, but i will keep it) and one small and one round and the background tool.

Leathernut the tools were $20 each and the backgrounder 30 but they are really worth it. I ordered direct from him.

Really nicely done! I didn't know Tom was that evil lookin.

Me neither :dunno: Mom says I'm cute!

Oh it was tattooflash inspired, I just figured when I saw a carving of myself that it was Tomswede inspired, lol.

Good work, Caroline and I love trolls. Not evil at all but sure are ugly, Scandinavian forests has some population left.

Tom

I knew i should have left him natural...decided to paint him, that didnt work, rubbed that off..well most of it came off, got out the new airbrush and had a good result but i kept fiddling with the color and in the end it was a disaster...evil dude now has about 10 layers of color on him. In the end i just airbrushed the whole thing with a white luminescent fabric paint and now he just glows in the sun..

message to self...leave well enough alone..dont fiddle

dude.gif

post-4514-1203035855_thumb.jpg

Maybe seal it and antique, like the Motörhead.

I see that alot of people here just do things and put in the bin and later on find use for them.

Looks very silvery on the pic.

Tom

Not trying to Hijack anything here but if anyone needs a maker's stamp at an unbelievable price get ahold of Dayl at dbar leather. Just try not to give him the SKULL CRAMPS that I have!! He understands what I mean by skull cramp and I'll post my stamps as soon as we both finish pulling our hair out over my pain in the butt logo!! He's a class act guy and is awesome to work with!!!!

Maybe seal it and antique, like the Motörhead.

I see that alot of people here just do things and put in the bin and later on find use for them.

Looks very silvery on the pic.

Tom

every time i try to photograph irridescent paint it comes out silvery...

i think this will head for the bin...i had already sealed it and when i tried to antique it, the results just got worse...oh well.....

see i knew i had to post a picture before i attempted to color it.

i am booked in for an airbrush course in the near future. my new aribrush is a wee bit sensitive and i need to learn the proper techniques.

Elton

Do you have a link for dbar leather? I googled it but didn't get anything specific.

Thanks,

kayak15

Oops. Sorry folks. If I didn't scan over things so fast I would have noticed that there was a post from dbar leather. Hummm- measure, then cut right?

Kayak15

looks smooth and the excellent photo helps bring the depth out of your tooling clearly..

your bevelling looks really clean and the backgrounding looks great also...nice job!

steveb

Roo, Outstanding! When I first looked at the piece I thought it was embossed! What great depth! Great job and great subject! Don't sweat the paint thing... :) I like it!

PS Thanks for the link

Edited by SCOUTER