K-Man

Tooled "quilt" Pattern

Can anyone provide insight on how to do the tooled quilt pattern like you see on notebooks, etc.?

Thanks for your help.

K-Man - Have you looked at Tandy Geometric tools G536, G538 and G548? There are several others that can be used to create square patterns and used like a basket weave to fill large areas. Is this what you were referring to? The Tandy store had free handouts on how to use these as other stamps to create fill patterns.

BillB

Or are you referring to the pattern made by cutting intersecting lines with a swivel knife and punching all the intersections with a seeder? It makes the surface look like an old style couch or chair, with pleats and little buttons holding everything down. For 3D, you just need to bevel one or both sides of the cut lines.

Bill: Thanks for that info. I do have that Tandy handout.

TO: Thanks - that's what I was looking for. I tried the beveling of both sides of the cut line and it just didn't look right. I'll try one side.

I don't bevel the line, I just cut it

Hi Everybody,

Is this something like we're looking for? If so, the way I do it is,,, I just mark the lines with a stylus, & then use a double beveler,,, without cutting the line first. After that I place a med. single seed at each of the intersections, & then add the #834, making sure that the lines are going from the corners in. Not to say that it's the best way to do it,,, it's just my way. Hope it helps,,, Ed

Opps,,, forgot the picture,,,

post-7175-092564900 1321635039_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the picture/info. Where do I find a double beveler?

Hey K-man,

I have done some of these "quilted" patterns on some projects and used the Craft tool B997 beveler on the lines. I have not checked to see if Tandy still sells them. If you need a picture of it I can take one and post it.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Hey K-man,

I have done some of these "quilted" patterns on some projects and used the Craft tool B997 beveler on the lines. I have not checked to see if Tandy still sells them. If you need a picture of it I can take one and post it.

Hope this helps,

Rick

The B997 is still in the catalog. https://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/department/leathercraft-projects-old/Leather-Holster-Making-Supplies/6997-00.aspx I have one, Ill have to try it that way.

Michael

Can anyone provide insight on how to do the tooled quilt pattern like you see on notebooks, etc.?

Thanks for your help.

Springfield also sells a really neat item. It's a plastic beveler that fits into a swivel knife. I had one years ago and forgot about it. Ordered another and I can bevel an entire belt edge in under 5 minutes. I now use it for everything straight. You could do your quilt beveling in seconds. Push easy and it bevels like a too- push hard and it will burnish.

pete

Springfield also sells a really neat item. It's a plastic beveler that fits into a swivel knife. I had one years ago and forgot about it. Ordered another and I can bevel an entire belt edge in under 5 minutes. I now use it for everything straight. You could do your quilt beveling in seconds. Push easy and it bevels like a too- push hard and it will burnish.

pete

Al Stohlman talks about that in his Tools book. Sounds like Tandy used to sell it. I just ordered one last Monday. Glad to hear its a good as I thought it might be.

As long as we are talking quilts, I was playing around with my new beveler that fits my swivel knife. I think I maybe should have stopped before the "star" points.

I did fix the one that is missing a point.

Michael

post-22515-064286400 1321932913_thumb.jp

Edited by mlapaglia

I know a guy that does this pattern on a few saddles and he had Bob Beard make a double beveler that is about an inch long. he said onthose long passes it helps a bunch.

I have been using a leaf liner on the straight lines and it gives them a nice look with the burnishing. F 120

pete

Does anyone know of another source for this beveler blade? I contacted Springfield today and was told they were out of stock and to call back in a couple of weeks. They would not backorder it or put me on the list for one when they received more.

Does anyone know of another source for this beveler blade? I contacted Springfield today and was told they were out of stock and to call back in a couple of weeks. They would not backorder it or put me on the list for one when they received more.

K-man:

Did you ever order your beveler blade? I see that they are available one the website, maybe they are in stock again?

K-man:

Did you ever order your beveler blade? I see that they are available one the website, maybe they are in stock again?

Sylvia:

I did talk with the folks at Springfield this morning in an attempt to place an order for it. They were out of stock.

Nice looking guitar in your avatar pic.

I bet this thread is why Springfield is out of the plastic bevelers...

On Thursday I tried to order a couple of the 'Beveler Plastic Blade" from Springfield Leather and they called me to say

that it would be 3 weeks before they would be in stock again - and to re-order in three weeks.

post-15330-029180600 1323563093_thumb.jp Springfield Leather - Beveler Plastic Blade http://springfieldle...tore/search.asp

I had bought one from Springfield last July and this thread reminded me I had one but had not tried it yet.

Well, I have tried it now and Thanks to this thread I see that it is Very handy for straight beveling...

Now I wanted another, but ordered too late to get one for a Christmas present…

Doing a Google search I found another style of the swivel knife plastic beveler at Etsy called the "Speedy Beveler tip for swivel knives"

It looks like they have a couple of different styles available there.

post-15330-072291100 1323563158_thumb.jp Etsy - Speedy Beveler http://www.etsy.com/...r-swivel-knives

post-15330-047508500 1323563221_thumb.jp

post-15330-075796300 1323563454_thumb.jp

Hope this helps

Edited by LNLeather

Thanks, Cheryl, for that info. However, the Springfield price is $2.99; the Etsy price is $15.00. A bit of price gouging it appears.....

Kevin,

I just saw them at the Phoenix Tandy (35th Ave / Greenway) Ken Evans is the manager. I will be there monday, I can pick one up and send it to you.

Rick Jorgenson

Hmmmm. I wonder just how hard it would be to make these... I'd like to have one that is 1/2 as wide...

Any one have any ideas about where to buy this plastic material?

Hmmmm. I wonder just how hard it would be to make these... I'd like to have one that is 1/2 as wide...

I made a few of these a couple years ago. Made them out of Corrion. They worked OK, good if you are smoothing a long straight line. They were prretty simple (not $3 simple though).

Aaron

you can get delrin in rod form a lot of places if you have a lathe shouldnt be hard to make