Sign in to follow this  
Oscar B

best liner for a gun case?

I would like to know what is the best liner for a gun case? I know some skins will pull the oil away from the gun, and could cause rust. I have some Sherline, but would this leave small shadings? I would appreciate all ideas.

Oscar

Interesting... and not to steal the thread from you, but anyone who can give better input into this... I didnt realize until Oscar mentioned it about the leather pulling the gun oil away... if I wanted to make a holster, what kind of leather would be best for the inside part that would be touching the gun? Glad this came up, cause a friend is wanting me to make a belt holster for his 9mm.

There is an article on how to make a gun holster in this section that may help answer some of you questions.

I'd use sheepskin. I don't know how much, if any, the wool would draw gun oil, but you wouldn't be keeping the gun in the case for extended periods without checking on it--you wouldn't want to leave it in a holster for extended periods of time either.

I have used Deerskin and suede on my holster. the only problems is that it has a tendency to "stick" to the gun when holster/unholstering.

i forgot where i read it, but theres a well known leatherworker that would only use smooth hide for holster linings. his reasoning was that little particles like unburnt powder, dirt and such wouldnt hangup in the knap and keep scratching to a minimum. to me it sounds good.

in any case, its not a good idea to store any metallic tool in leather since leather is acidic and will eventually cause some corrosion. also, it would hold moisture too.

When I made a display case for "The Twins", I lined it with pigskin split dyed red and coated with neat lac. (7 years ago and no problems thus far) but that does include an oiling of the piece every 6 months. Definitely don't store them in a holster, that's bad juju.

Leather pulling oil away from the gun. Never heard that one before. The problem is leather attracts moisture - hence rust. Never store a firearm in a leather case or holster. The worst damage that I've seen due to neglect were handguns that were left unattended or stored in leather holsters. Leather is heck on ammunition too - brass and leather do not like one another.

Edited by Billsotx

I want to thank everyone for there help. Like to ask question before start a project, as this help the scrap bin not fill up as fast.

Thanks

Oscar

Edited by Oscar B