LeatherWerks

What Sewing Machine Should I Add To My Shop?

I have a Cobra 4 machine now and to date, it has done everything I've wanted to do. I would like to add another machine to the shop (used if I can find the right one) which will alow me to do more projects. I sew mostly belts and holsters with the Cobra machine, but would like to do smaller stuff like wallets and purses. Do I need another machine or am I just not utilizing the abilities of the machine I have? If you believe I need another machine, what would it be? Consew, Singer?

Thanks,

Steve

Edited by LeatherWerks

For your second machine, consider a flatbed walking foot Consew 206RB-5, or equivalent other brand. They have all kinds of presser feet to do many different jobs, like edge binding, piping installation, zippers, etc. It is easier to control flat, long and wide projects on a large table top.

Your third machine might be a "patcher" - which can sew into the tightest places (like inside a vest pocket). A patcher is invaluable in a professional leather shop.

Edited by Wizcrafts

Thanks Wiz. I know I can always count on your wise insight when it comes to sewing machines. I plan on dabbling a bit in upholstery as well. Would I be able to find a welting foot for a Consew machine?

Steve

Consew machines are a solid stable in the upholstry business, you find tons of feet and attachements....I have an Adler 105 for big stuff, an Adler 267 for light stuff, like wallets and such and finally an Adler 30-10 for the odd stuff.....just as Wiz said...now I am all good...or am I....haha...

Remember, one machine cant do it all....and you never can have to many sewing machines!!!!

James

You already have a Class 4, just get a Class 18. There are tons of feet for those machines at very resonable prices. I have one, never a problem.

Art

Yes, there are welt/piping feet for the Consew. They are usually sold as type 111 feet. which is referring to the ancient Singer 111w155 walking foot machines.

G'Day,

I have 4 machines. A Pfaff 60 set up for light to medium leathers, a Consew 226 , mainly for the horse rug repair side of my business, but it can do so much more like medium leathers, some 2.5 veg tan etc., a Q Stitch Colt, ( similar to Cobra ) for the thick heavy leathers , and an old Singer hand operated patcher, which I have yet to set up and put to use. I bought it a while ago, but haven't used it yet.

I sometimes could use something in between , like a Singer 132k6 for everything else. That may be on the cards later this year .

I do find it handy to have more than one machine and can save a bit of downtime , because as much as I love my Colt, changing threads feet tensions etc for different materials can be time consuming.

Each of my machines have a specific purpose for my needs , and are set up just perfect .

All the best

HS

You can find a good quality, new or used flatbed walking foot machine from any of the dealers on this website:

- Cobra Steve

- Cowboy Bob

- Techsew Ron

Call around and see who has the one you want in stock.

Ron