Colt W Knight

Sewing Shearling On A Consew 206

I got a request to make a shearling lined guitar strap today. I have only ever used shearling once, when I hand stitched a range bag for my M4. That was a total bitch. I figured I was going to have hand sew this guitar strap as well, but I figured I would give it a go on my sewing machine first, using 138 thread. I though this was going to be a total nightmare, I didn't think it was going to work. To my surprise, it sewed the test piece, but I could see the thread starting to fray at the end of the test piece. I loaded up my guitar strap, 2 (5/6 ounce vegtan) with the shearling lining. I rotated the hand wheel by hand on the first side, then pushed the pedal down for the rest. It actually went by without a hitch. Probably my straightest stitch lines and lock stitches I have done with my machine so far. Now that I know I can sew shearling on my machine, I can see myself using it a lot more.

A gentleman from France stopped by today, and asked me to make him a vintage style guitar strap. No big deal, EXCEPT, he is going back to France next week, and I am traveling for Thanksgiving. That gave me 1 1/2 days to get it done. After he walked out the door, I got busy, and 4 hours later, I had this strap.

The main strap is 13 ounce latigo, dyed black

The shoulder pad is Two 6 ounce vegtan pieces with a genuine shearling lining.

FrenchStrap1_zpsa9f0474c.jpg

FrenchStrap2_zpsc099c6c4.jpg

DSC01699_zpsd599bf47.jpg

FrenchStrap3_zps0b75d542.jpg

FrenchStrap4_zps0584edaa.jpg

Nice work! I'm not surprised that the Consew handled it this well.

Nice work! I'm not surprised that the Consew handled it this well.

Thanks Wiz. I really want a bigger machine so I can use bigger thread, but I think I will keep this one to do thinner projects and felt.

I´d keep the Consew if you don´t have serious space problem! I meanwhile have 4 machines and I`m sure sooner or later I´ll ad one or two more though I have a small space problem.

Hey Colt,Your doing a great job there!Looks very professional.

Thanks Bob.