BattleAx

Vinegaroon 11/2" Leather Gun Belt

May I suggest to use 1-1/2" vice the 11/2". Just makes it clearer to read.

One of the really kewl things about Vinegaroon is that you can use white or natural stitching, then dye and the stitching stays light.

Nice job..

Bob

Hi Venator,

Here is a youtube link on Vinegatoon / Iron Dye. The video is very good I use Distilled White Vinegar is works the same. Its takes 10 to 14 days to make. I hope this helps.

Looks nice. is that belt hand stitched?

never mind i see under your avatar....duh.

Edited by Eddie1968

Hi Eddie1968,

The I have an old Singer 7-34 Industrial Sewing Machine that I use to sew up my belts. I still hand stitch a lot of my leather work.

Thanks

cool. i 441 clone. but would like something smaller for wallet interiors and such. (off topic sorry)

Did you have any issue with the smell not going away? I have used vinegaroon in the past and sometimes it never quite went away.

Does that dye bleed, to where you would have to seal it so it don't rub off on clothing?

Hi THRLeather & wig190861,

I don't have an issue with the smell. After it dries I use neats foot oil. After I am finished with the piece I use Fiebings Aussie Leather conditioner.

You don't have to seal the leather Vinegaroon does not rub off on your clothing. It's a chemical reaction that dyes the leather.

Hope this helps Thanks

It is not a dye at all but a chemical reaction between the vinegaroon and the tannin in the leather. I tested on some samples from a banjo head maker and it had almost no effect. I inadvertently left a piece in for a week and it eventually turned black. I soaked one sample in a super strong tea solution to introduce some tanin and it turned darker but not black.

Some of the black will rub off but not like a dye. Neutralizing with baking soda will help reduce the odor.

Cya!

Bob