corter

the best leather

I need some help:

as most of everyone here knows, I make wallets. most of my wallets are natural, and get oiled by the people who buy them. I'm having some trouble, however, finding good leather. Tandy's been ok, but they're hit and miss...the last time i went they pulled out 3 hides in a row that were moldy. I've tried a couple other places around me, but nothing has been exactly what i need: smooth grain, fine tanning qualities, and all out nice qualit leather

what i'm looking for is an online supplier with the best leather I can get. I go through about a side every 3 weeks to a month, so i need something that i can trust. I'm looking for a 4-5 oz, smooth, amazing grained leather. now, i know there's no such thing as a flawless hide, but the best part of working with wallets is I don't need huge pieces at a time: i can cut around imperfections. so, any suggestions?

Do yourself a favor and try the new Royal Meadow leather from Tandy - simply the BEST!

Do yourself a favor and try the new Royal Meadow leather from Tandy - simply the BEST!

I agree. It is simply the BEST!

I have to agree. The royal meadows from Tandy is about as flawless as I've seen. Last year Tandy was passing out wallet back samples at the ifolg show. You may be able to find one to test.

Marlon

I am always on the outside of this "whose leather is the best" deal. I liked Caldwell-Moser, they closed. I went to WesTan, they closed. I have now been using Siegel's golden skirting sides for a few years, since they started offering it. I have seen it change and improve over time from the first lots. You either like it because it is a bit softer and has a nice temper or you don't. I use their tooling sides for the lighter weights, but they only get down to 6/7 or so. I can make about everything but wallets from it by judicious use of my skiver. I could split down for them I guess. They aren't that wide. I have ordered I think 3 sides of the 4/5 tooling sides from HideHouse in Napa in the last year and a half or so. (not talking about the commercial oak type sides here). The price is good, and it works up and tools the way I like. It does oil a bit darker than the Siegel leather. Both of these leathers give me a bit more roundness and "pop" to my basket stamping the way I case my leather and the way I stamp than brand X. If you are looking for an online or remote supplier of 4/5, might be worth calling Roger there. I mainly use it for my molded and covered picture frames, and the center cut out gives me enough for a checkbook or wallet. I don't make a ton of wallets, so I can pull from the scrap bin and not buy a dedicated side for them.

I need some help:

as most of everyone here knows, I make wallets. most of my wallets are natural, and get oiled by the people who buy them. I'm having some trouble, however, finding good leather. Tandy's been ok, but they're hit and miss...the last time i went they pulled out 3 hides in a row that were moldy. I've tried a couple other places around me, but nothing has been exactly what i need: smooth grain, fine tanning qualities, and all out nice qualit leather

what i'm looking for is an online supplier with the best leather I can get. I go through about a side every 3 weeks to a month, so i need something that i can trust. I'm looking for a 4-5 oz, smooth, amazing grained leather. now, i know there's no such thing as a flawless hide, but the best part of working with wallets is I don't need huge pieces at a time: i can cut around imperfections. so, any suggestions?

Corter, Give Wickett and Craig a try. I believe that they have the best leather around and are wonderful to deal with. Carlb

Herman Oak Leather! Call Goliger Leather (888) 44-HIDES or (800) 423-2329 http://www.goligerleather.com/

talk to Cheryl or Carlos!!! Great people to work with.

Hard for me to imagine that anything could be better than Whickett & Craig.

I too tend to believe there isn't much better than the Wickett and Craig. I really like the way it stamps and oils. I am, however, very happy to hear Bruce likes Siegels Skirting Leather. They were running a deal on it that was too good to pass up so I bought a couple for a saddle to build my wife. I told them I wanted to build a rough out and asked for one left and one rt. All came very fast and the leather is really nice. I like the buffed flesh too. Another nice thing about Siegels is you get free shipping over $75 which can really make the difference in price over brand X. I do see some lighter weight stuff in their adds but make sure you're getting their good stuff, like the Oak Tanned. I have got some pretty nasty stuff at times but I was getting their bottom shelf stuff; my fault...

Ryan

I agree that the W & C is good. I have been using the skirting from Seigels, and I really like it. I have built 4 saddles with it thus far, plus a fair amount of smaller goods. No complaints from me, and I have yet to run across a rawhide spot in a side yet. The old reliable Herman Oak no doubt is good, and the choice of many. For me though, by golly sometimes it seems to have too much temper to the hard side. Just a personal preference thing. I have no plans to change from the Seigels in the near future. I am curious enough to try some of the Chestnut Herman Oak that Weaver's has had on a discount lately, though.

Herman Oak from Montana Leather. I might have to check out some of that W&C. Who sells it one hide at a time?

Herman Oak from Montana Leather. I might have to check out some of that W&C. Who sells it one hide at a time?

Min. order direct from W&C is 1 side.

W&C will also split your leather at no extra charge, though they don't go below 3oz. I'm up in the air and can't decide if I like Hermann or W & C better. Herman has a softer feel and the grain seems more pronounced, which I like. I like that you can order direct from W&C, and the folks that answer the phone are great.

Ian

I have had excellent experience with Wickett and Craig. Good luck.

Edited by dbarleather

I to must vote for Wickett and craig. They will also sell 1 hide at a time. Their number is

1-800-Tannery

Thanks for the info on the W&C. The last few leather orders from Tandy resulted in some less than satisfactory leather. I don't know about their royal meadow but I can get HO for the same price or less and I know the quality will be top notch.

I'm going to have to second this. I bought some english bridle leather from them and it was perfect. Exactly what I was looking for and real easy to deal with right over the phone.

-Brent

Corter, Give Wickett and Craig a try. I believe that they have the best leather around and are wonderful to deal with. Carlb

Herman Oak Leather! Call Goliger Leather (888) 44-HIDES or (800) 423-2329 http://www.goligerleather.com/

talk to Cheryl or Carlos!!! Great people to work with.

I called them last Friday and they said they would ship it out on Monday. I received it yesterday(Friday). California to the Peoples Republic of Illinios in 4 days and at a great price ,too! They were very helpful and friendly. A very delightful experience and I will do business with them again!

I will have to try a couple different sides from W&C, Goliger and maybe Weaver to see what works out best.

Up until a couple weeks ago I had used only leather purchased from Tandy. I bought a side of tooling leather from W&C and when I got it I wasn't exactly overjoyed. It looked ok, it wasn't sunburned, it still had some minor defects, but it was not a magical amazing piece. BUT I have to say my first time carving it was last week and the difference there was night and day. Cased the same as other leather I've used, it cut like butter and took impressions really easily. For carving, I'm impressed!

Edited by mikeymoto

Can I ask what W&C is charging? The price list on their web site is from Feb.'07

Call Lisa Koloen @ 800-547-1299. She is a third generation Leather maker/seller. Now works for Wickett & Craig. She will treat you right and W/C sells tannery direct with a one side minimum. Just talked to her at the Sheridan show. Neat lady. Stan