UKRay

Pictures of Scotland - Spring 2009

Just got back from picking up my lovely new Highlead sewing machine from Troy in the Highlands of Scotland. Many thanks for your kindness and hospitality guys!

I took the long route home past lochs, moors, mountains, rivers and all manner of natural beauty. The roads are long and mainly empty at this time of the year. It was a glorious road trip and I'm very pleased I did it.

I have attached a few pictures but the one thing they can't tell you is how bl***dy cold it was... I was wearing twice as much clothing in Scotland as I was when I left the Midlands and I was still absolutely freezing.

I can't quite believe a Scotsman wouldn't wear anything under a kilt - unless there was nothing left to keep warm 'cos it was frozen off!

Why do you think whiskey was invented!!!!!

I guess when you live in one area long enough you don't realize differences in temperature - at the same time ray was here I was quite comfortable in a T-shirt and yes I wear boxers under everything!!!

It was great to meet you and your wife ray, glad to hear you got back OK.

Beautiful country indeed.

Thanks for the pics.

Should have taken your Thermals.

Badger

Thanks for posting Ray........ all i get to see around here is flat land , crowded places

muddy water..................

I love it when people post images of where they live. (Or in this case, travel to.) That is some lovely scenery!

Later on this spring, once things get a little greener, I plan to get out with my camera and try to get some good images of this area. (ClayB has heard this before, but this year, I think it's finally going to happen!)

Kate

Those really are beautiful pictures Ray. It's funny how much some of those look like they could be taken in some part of Wyoming or Montana or even parts of Utah. I would have never thought that Scotland would look that way.

Kate, you owe it to Kansas to take some pictures for me. We drove through there when I was a kid every year coming up to ND for the summer. Mostly what I remember was the smell of cow poo from all the feedlots and really twany old country music on ALL the radio stations. Oh, and a sign as you came into one town. I dont remember what town it was, but the sign said "Welcome to ********, home of 102 friendly people and a couple old crabs".

Ray,

How would you define a loch?

And a moor?

I don't care if it was cold, I wish I was in those pics. That is a beautiful land. Great Pics!

I nearly said a loch is wet and a moor is dry, but they were both a bit damp when I was there!

As I understand it (and speaking as a Sassenach - see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sassenach) a loch is a body of water which is either:

Moorland is generally regarded as highland (and high rainfall) habitat. Check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moorland

hope this helps,

R.

Ray,

How would you define a loch?

And a moor?

Awww I'm bawling... :bawling:

I was there last may (excellent weather and comfy temp) and I'm just dying to get back this May but no money to do that...the whisky...the whisky.... :bawling:

Gotta go have a dram right now!!!

:cheers:

Tom

Tom,

Let's be serious here. You come from Sweden.

I have been to Sweden several times - the same Sweden where the houses have electrical points outside so people can plug their cars into the mains power to keep the heaters going all night.

Sweden, the home of the SAAB - the car with heated seats.

Comfy weather to you guys is simply anything above freezing... LOL

I concede your point about the whisky. A drop of Laphroaig is the nectar of the Gods - www.laphroaig.com :cheers:

R.

Awww I'm bawling... :bawling:

I was there last may (excellent weather and comfy temp) and I'm just dying to get back this May but no money to do that...the whisky...the whisky.... :bawling:

Gotta go have a dram right now!!!

:cheers:

Tom

Ha ha yeah my opinion on comfy might be a little odd to others. Above freezing point means t-shirt and shorts;-)

Laphroaig is great but I hold Ardbeg 10 for my favorite!!!

I also got to taste Lagavulins oldest sherrycask whisky straight out of the cask last year. It can't be bought so that was a great experience and very much like falling in love;-)

Cheers Ray!!!

Ray, thanks for sharing the pics, it's really awesome to see other parts of the world. Funny things is that if you'd said you went traveling into British Columbia near Kamloops close to our house. I would have believed you. The pictures look like they were taken around here.

Cheers

Hey Ray,

Thank you for sharing those beautiful pictures. My daughter is doing a study abroad program in London next July and will be going to Eidenberg (spelling?) as a part of the program. Maybe she will get to see some sights like this.

Care to see what it's like in Conifer, Colorado right now? We had three feet of snow over the weekend, and our electricity was off for two days. We built up lots of muscles trying to free ourselves.

yaks_09_002.jpg

yaks_09_009.jpg

yaks_09_010.jpg

That's a truck under the huge leaning tree! Fortunately, the tree did not break. Six others on our land did.

yaks_09_011.jpg

yaks_09_012.jpg

yaks_09_013.jpg

yaks_09_016.jpg

There was so much snow, the wildlife didn't like it and came up on the deck to avoid it! He had to climb five steps to get up there.

post-1462-1240249035_thumb.jpg

post-1462-1240249067_thumb.jpg

post-1462-1240249083_thumb.jpg

post-1462-1240249094_thumb.jpg

post-1462-1240249114_thumb.jpg

post-1462-1240249130_thumb.jpg

post-1462-1240249209_thumb.jpg

Those pictures are awesome! You certainly live in a beautiful place.

3 days with no power eh? I start to get a bit 'edgy' in a heavy frost so, despite the views, I'd still be kinda tempted to move further south. A lot further south... like California, Arizona or somewhere dry and warm. LOL

Talking of south, I think your daughter will be around a hundred miles south-east of the bits I photographed - however, they do lots of student priced coach tours from Edinburgh that run past all the lochs and mountains so she will have plenty of opportunity to see the sights.

Thank you for sharing those beautiful pictures. My daughter is doing a study abroad program in London next July and will be going to Eidenberg (spelling?) as a part of the program. Maybe she will get to see some sights like this.

Care to see what it's like in Conifer, Colorado right now? We had three feet of snow over the weekend, and our electricity was off for two days. We built up lots of muscles trying to free ourselves.

Ye I guess after my trip to BC that some similarities are present between the scenery (Canada and scotland)but tree's right upto the summit in many cases is a god send especially in bad weather - no where to escape to on the scottish hills;

An teallach or the forge

liathach

south from ben nevis summit

Most of these are north of Edinburgh but then most of the high mountain are but as roy said I expect there are tours to places like fort william under ben nevis but if you come to scotland from may to september - beware the mini vampires!!!!!!!

Edited by troy

Scotland looks to be a beautiful place. Got any more pictures? I showed these to my daughter, and she's getting more excited to go.

Thank you for posting them!

Kathy

Is Dracula small in Scotland?

Edited by yaklady

I believe Troy is talking about Scotland's famous and incredibly fierce blood sucking mosquitos. Apparently a big swarm can drag you out of your car and suck you dry in a matter of seconds... The scenery is great but whatever you do don't stop to admire it!

Scotland looks to be a beautiful place. Got any more pictures? I showed these to my daughter, and she's getting more excited to go.

Thank you for posting them!

Kathy

Is Dracula small in Scotland?

Wow I need to post pics of my area I think you will be surprised,

That looks like a fishing lake to me I found my self reaching for my fly rod LOL

Josh

I've experienced mini-vampires like that! We (my daughter and I) were camping in Montana near Yellowstone last summer. I thought the teeny tiny little bugs were going to pick us up and carry us off!

Josh, you have aged a great deal since yesterday. You look as old as John Wayne now. You should do like I do and take a year off your birthdate every year. Maybe that would help!

Kathy