Ole South

Patcher, Refurb Or Go Inexpensive Chinese

I started out looking at the Portable Chinese Patchers (Ebay, Able ect...) as I don't really NEED one, then I started looking at the old Singer 29K's. Found two locally plus an Adler 105-64 Cylinder Arm. 29K-71's (mid '50s vintage) both have stitch length issues. The best of the two sews fine with 69 thread but stitch length is 11-sti to like 25 sti. Lots of play in the presser foot bar (2+ mm) if I put a bit of back pressure on the foot bar I can get it to about 9sti. No stand, no motor, no front hand-wheel option but all the pieces seem to be there. Both need a deep clean and lube job.

At $350usd per is it worth working thru the issues or should I just wait for a better deal? Seller won't negotiate at all on price nor will he probably move any of the three units but he'd rather sit than sell.

My need isn't pressing but a patcher would be nice to have for those tight spaces and repairs. Not sure what parts or the ball park cost to get one of these sewing to spec so that's what/why I'm asking.

Thanks for any advice.

It figures... search the forums, get no joy, post, then find: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=31220 . I'm guessing the fix probably applies to -71's as well.

Sorry... (I did a search first I promise!)

You can replace all of the parts that are responsible for moving the material for about $100 to $200. The shuttle drive parts would cost about the same for everything under the throat plate, inside the gearbox (racks and gears). However, as I have learned, aftermarket parts don't usually fit like the originals did. You will have to file this, polish that, and fine-fit the parts. In the end you should have 5 stitches per inch and no skipped stitches.

If the seller is firm on the price, buy the one with the longer stitches, and/or least slop in the shuttle. If they both have slack in the presser bar and the shuttle driver, expect to pay out close to $200 or more and invest many hours learning to disassemble and rebuild the head.

If you do leather shoe and boot uppers and purse repairs, and/or want to sew embroidered patches onto vests and jackets, a patcher is a must have machine. Try to get a machine that has the least slack in both the foot driving and lower shuttle systems.

If the prospect of investing this much more money and many hours of dis-assembly and custom fitting new parts isn't for you, pass on these machines and look for something in better condition.

PS: The 29k71 is best limited to #69 or maybe #92 bonded thread.

Thanks Wiz! Yeah those were my thoughts and concerns. $500-600.00 to get it sewing and still need a stand/motor and what ever else rears it's ugly head. I've got a line on a unknown name clone patcher with servo-motor that's breaking thread that the owner just wants to be rid of. Shop's closed til Dec 1st. I'll check that one out til then I put the word out to an older saddle/harness maker acquaintance in a nearby town to be on the lookout for me.

If the need gets too urgent I can always get a Chinese machine... but but they're soooo uuuugly! Do you shooting them with hammer black would help???? At least they don't weigh a ton!

If you have questions about the Able line of patchers, ask our member Darren Brosowski. He is the importer and distributor. Note, he lives down under.

Ole South - I agree the Chinese stitcher look dead ugly and (for me) this would be a reason not to buy them but seems they are sewing and thats what they should do. If you just consider them just as a tool for a certain job then why not. But for me the esthetic aspect is quite important. I would not buy a machine when it is dead ugly. I mean you probably have to look at this big piece of metal everyday and you always think - god damn are you ugly. This has nothing to do with it´s performance.

Regarding the 29K´s - some pictures would be nice.

I also have restored a 29K71 and it turned out very well.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=56079&hl=29k71

The big advantage of the 29K70´s subclass machines is that you can find almost every single part for them - probably not unimportant for the future. But it of course depends on the total price incl. new parts you have to pay. But most patchers don´t have a motors so thats something I´d consider it as optional.

I think patchers are more expensive in the US tan on my side of the pond but when you can get a well working 29K71 with servo motor and stand or table for about $500 - why not.

When I brake down what I have paid for mine incl. restoration I think I come up with approx. 220€ or a bit more w/o stand and motor. For me the fact that I can always can find parts for this machine was quite important. I could have bought other patchers but the 29K71 was the one I always wanted so for me it was worth every cent.

Mine sews 138 thread with a 140 / 22 needle without problems.

Yep, those Chinese patchers aren't the prettiest thing around, but they are designed to be a simple, no-frills, inexpensive machine that will work anywhere and be relatively easy to fix if something should go wrong. Where I am used 29K patchers don't appear to be very common (I haven't come across one for sale in the year that I've been looking for machines) so I bought a Chinese one. It required a bit of work to clean it up and mod it slightly, but all that took was time and no cost.

Esthetics are a factor as is the practicality of having a functioning device when you need it. An old machine has not only a history but a track record, I wonder if our imports will last or if they are a disposable solution. For me, without an urgent, economic or immediate need the equation is pretty balanced: I have a small work area but can make room, more than enough capital to afford an import but can't justify new, price and portability offset esthetics and pride of ownership.

I admit, the challenge of motorizing one of these little cricket pitchers is enticing (Darren's solution is appropriately ingenious but I'm thinking more flat belt and flange) which of course defeats the portability of the device but hey... Hot rodding is fun. So is rescuing and restoring. I'm no purist, my table saw is a restored 1938 Sears/Atlas as is my floor stand drillpress, my lathe... an import like my bandsaw.

The crickets are cute but old iron is beautiful. I don't Do this for a living so I can linger in the luxury of indescion for a while. There are merits on both sides.

@dikman I've seen 5 or 6 patchers in vatious states on the market locally in the last couple years. So they're out there. I saw a youtube vid of a guy that was modifying the thread path in the bobbin area on a cricket; is this a common mod or was that just correcting a manufacturing flaw?

@Constabulary I admire and respect what you do and really appreciate what all you guys share here. Even at 3x the price/cost if I can get a machine with a legacy... Warum Nicht?

Being in the good ole US of A as you are, I've no doubt that you won't have too much trouble finding used ones, unfortunately here in Sth Oz they definitely are rare! Nope, not a common mod that I'm aware of, or a flaw. Most users that I've come across use them as is.

Whilst it's not exactly a work of art, I actually quite like it because it is so different to anything else I have (very "agricultural").

Kinda funny, Trox and Constabulary's area are "Patcher rich", you're Patcher poor, and we're in the middle. But I gotta give it to those-that-dwell-down-under ya are a resourceful bunch. I ran across a Ron Edwards book on the net (probably from a link here) and the philosophy seems to embody, "If ain't available or ya can't afford it, Make It!!

I like that.