It looks pretty new!
Tony.

#17 pepin1948

pepin1948

• Contributing Member
  • PipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:58 AM

I have the 8" hand crank splitter from Weaver with a very good hollow ground blade , very easy to sharp . Is easy too, to adjust .
This kind of machines are hard to find in Europe. Weaver puts it at my shop door.
I have seen the splitters mentioned in this thread only by photo. Landis seems very solid

#18 esantoro

esantoro

Leatherworker.net Regular

• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:briefcases, satchels, handbags, belts, journals

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:03 PM

Hi Joe,

I'm still trying to get in touch with Marvin to see if he's still making his splitters. Do you remember what you paid?

Ed

Joe,

Marvin's splitter sounds ideal. I gave Marvin a call and left a message. If possible, would you be able to post a picture of your splitter?

Ed

#19 ryano

ryano

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Motorcycle world
  • Interested in learning about:everything leather
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:WWW

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:55 PM

I have a couple of splitters, one American that I rebuilt and not sure about the other one although it is not a hand crank job, but a pull through. I find the American to work well, but is too narrow most of the time for the work I am doing. I need a band splitter. Go with a bigger one I say.

#20 rcsaddles

rcsaddles

Leatherworker

• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:My main interest is braiding both leather and rawhide. I prefer to make my own rawhide. I also make saddles, tack, holsters and most anything leather. I also do tarp and canvas repair.
  • Leatherwork Specialty:braiding and saddle building
  • Interested in learning about:leather carving and stamping

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:53 PM

Here is a copy of the flyer from Marvin Deitz on his splitter.

Attached File  Deitz_Splitter.jpg   753.63KB   283 downloads
Joe Boyles
Rugged Cross Saddlery
Lewistown, Montana
Romans 6:23

#21 10x

10x

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Highpower Rifle Slings
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:Yahoo

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:05 PM

Does he make a strap cutter by chance?
Michael Gibeault
10X Leather Co.
Highpower Rifle Slings

253-375-7162

#22 cem

cem

Leatherworker

• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:04 PM

[quote name='rcsaddles' date='Apr 24 2009, 12:53 PM' post='103310']
Here is a copy of the flyer from Marvin Deitz on his splitter.

What sort of price does this splitter go for and is there any chance that Marvin has an email address as it's going to be difficult for me to contact him by calling and snail mail is likely to take to long (my sister is currently in America and might be able to help bring me one back if the price is right).

Also what do the Landis ones usually go for though I think they might be a little on the small side (Lunchtime here at work and I don't have my main pattern here to check sizes).

I'm also looking at the American (probably too small as well) and the Weaver so if someone knows what they go for as well that would be great.

I know the postage is going to be fairly high on any of the splitters as they are heavy but I haven't come across any in Australia yet and I really would prefer a hand crank one due to the shapes that have to go through it.

This is also the only machinery I need for what I am doing so I am prepared to pay a bit more to get something decent, so if anyone knows of anyone currently selling any of the hand crank splitters please get them to contact me through the board.

Thanks for any help

Cheers,

Clair

#23 Randy Cornelius

Randy Cornelius

Leatherworker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 794 posts
  • Interests:I do all kinds of leather work. Saddles, tack, personal items belts, gun leather, you name it, and I can make a buck I'll do it in leather.
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Saddles & Tack

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:58 AM

Hello I'm looking for a PDF or hard copy of the C S Osborne Leather Splitter #86. I just bought one for 200USD on ebay, Quite impressed with the deal. But need to know how to work it. Does the leather get fed through the front? How to adjust etc?
Can be emailed at
gml-@sympatico.ca
Stephen

He was set up at Sheridan a couple years ago, I played around with his splitter and was impressed, cannot remember the cost 1600.00 comes to mind. Artisen came out with a motorized verison very simular and seemed to work well also. As I remember both were quite expensive, in the 2000.00 neighborhood.
Randy Cornelius
Cornelius Saddlery
LaCygne, Kansas
Randy & Riley Cornelius
Ride Hard, Shoot Fast and Always Tell the Truth...

#24 bruce johnson

bruce johnson

Saddlery & Tack Moderator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:35 AM

[

What sort of price does this splitter go for and is there any chance that Marvin has an email address as it's going to be difficult for me to contact him by calling and snail mail is likely to take to long (my sister is currently in America and might be able to help bring me one back if the price is right).

Also what do the Landis ones usually go for though I think they might be a little on the small side (Lunchtime here at work and I don't have my main pattern here to check sizes).

I'm also looking at the American (probably too small as well) and the Weaver so if someone knows what they go for as well that would be great.

I know the postage is going to be fairly high on any of the splitters as they are heavy but I haven't come across any in Australia yet and I really would prefer a hand crank one due to the shapes that have to go through it.

This is also the only machinery I need for what I am doing so I am prepared to pay a bit more to get something decent, so if anyone knows of anyone currently selling any of the hand crank splitters please get them to contact me through the board.

Thanks for any help

Cheers,

Clair
[/quote]

Clair,
The Weaver handcrank has an 8" blade and sells for just under $1900 according to my 1-2 year old catalog. The Landis and American handcranks have 6" blades. They usually trade for around $400-700 if complete and depending on condition and blade left. Once in a while you can score a deal on one. The refurbishers sell them for a little more, but they have gone through them and know they are ready to go.
Bruce Johnson
Malachi 4:2
"the windshield's bigger than the mirror, somewhere west of Laramie" - Dave Stamey
Vintage Leather Tools for sale - www.brucejohnsonleather.com

#25 cem

cem

Leatherworker

• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:14 PM

Thanks Bruce I thought the Weaver was going to be a high price thats a bit out of my price range as I would have to pay import tax on that amount (we get $1000 limit before we have to pay import tax in Oz) Would be the perfect size though there was one on ebay a few weeks ago but that's the only time I've seen one in the few months I've been looking.

Might see if I can get my sister to ring Marvin as his splitter definately looks interesting

I've read a few threads about splitters now and was wondering if the chase design you use might also be worth looking into so I was just wondering how well do they go on funny shaped patterns ie wider in the middle than the ends. I would be splitting 4mm (10 oz) down to 2.5mm (about 6 oz). I only use veg tan leather so don't need to take chrome tanned into consideration.

Thankyou for any help

Cheers,

Clair

#26 bruce johnson

bruce johnson

Saddlery & Tack Moderator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:29 PM

Clair,
It all depends on how wide a piece you are splitting. I have found with good sharpening and stropping, I can split about 1" less than the blade width on my Chase splitters. I like the Krebs and the Chase patterns the best for the pull through splitters. The Krebs I mostly see are 8". They have a dial on the drum in the front with gradations that you can go back to for repeated leveling. With the top and bottom rollers a strap won't ride up the bevel or flip up and chop off. The Chases have a thinner blade with what seems like a flatter bevel. I think there is less drag on them and so would be better for patterned pieces. I do think it is better to rough cut and split and then cut the final shape after splitting to avoid distortion. They also have top and bottom rollers and feed well. The Chases are pretty common in 8 and 10 widths. I have a couple of 12" in slightly different styles. I know of one wider than that. The Chases have no gradations to measure, and I keep a thickness gauge close by. I have a 10" and the 12" fastened down. The 10" is pretty much left at 8 oz. The 12" wanders according to need.
One thing to watch is to use the whole width of the blade to wear more evenly. Some guys will put a narrower straps in the same place each time. Some of these oldies will have warps and dips in the rollers or feedwheels on the handcranks from wear in just one area. Some blades will have 1/8" or more cupping in the center of the leading edge of the blade from being sharpened just where it was used the most.
Bruce Johnson
Malachi 4:2
"the windshield's bigger than the mirror, somewhere west of Laramie" - Dave Stamey
Vintage Leather Tools for sale - www.brucejohnsonleather.com

#27 cem

cem

Leatherworker

• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:57 AM

Thanks Bruce

Mmm decisions decisions thinking about it now with your suggestion it would probably be better for me to rough cut, split then click my final shape. The problem I have is there is no where I can try out a splitter even a crappy Tandy one so I'm hoping that I can narrow it down while my sister is still in America so I can get her to bring me a decent one back the likelyhood of that though unless it's from a shop is probably going to be remote so I'm probably just going to have to be patient.

The widest point on my biggest pattern is 15cm (approx 6 inches) but this is the paper pattern and on the clickers I have had made for previous patterns they have been 2-3mm wider so a 6 inch machine is now definately out. So would there be enough room on an eight inch or should I go looking for a 10.

Cheers

Clair

#28 rcsaddles

rcsaddles

Leatherworker

• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:My main interest is braiding both leather and rawhide. I prefer to make my own rawhide. I also make saddles, tack, holsters and most anything leather. I also do tarp and canvas repair.

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:34 AM

I was just looking at the Ferdco.com swap board and there is one of these splitters for sale. Looks exactly like mine. Just an FYI to those who may be interested.

Joe

Marvin's splitter sounds ideal. I gave Marvin a call and left a message. If possible, would you be able to post a picture of your splitter?

Ed

[/quote]
Joe Boyles
Rugged Cross Saddlery
Lewistown, Montana

#29 cem

cem

Leatherworker

• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:52 PM

Thanks for the heads up Joe, I didn't realise it had a motor though so it wouldn't be suitable for me as I only have a small space to work in.

I think I'm just going to be patient and get a Weaver in a few months, I found someone in Australia who has one and they seem very happy with it. I emailed a few places about a Landis and the prices I was given were alot higher than what has been stated here ie I might as well buy a new Weaver. Also having some wrist problems at the moment so I don't think using a pull type one is in my best interests as I do illustration work at my day job, the Weaver one is also in my size range for everything I make so I wouldn't need another splitter.

Cheers,

Clair

#30 rcsaddles

rcsaddles

Leatherworker

• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:23 AM

The local saddle maker/shoe repair guy had one of the Weaver splitters and he is ready to send it back. He has talked to Weaver about it and they don't seem to understand what is wrong with it and he can't explain it. I have encouraged him to take it to Sheridan to let Vernon look it over and adjust it but he is a little or a lot bull headed about it.

I'm not trying to give Weaver a bad rep or anthing, just what I am seeing here. The new splitters that Marvin makes do not have motors. They are hand crank so will take up less room. The older ones he put the motors on.
Joe Boyles
Rugged Cross Saddlery
Lewistown, Montana