#1 Thunderingthompson

Thunderingthompson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Western leather
  • Interested in learning about:every thing

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:27 PM

Hi Folks for any one who whats to build a stitching pony plans for one can be found in this pdf book starting on page 98 to 104 http://ia700307.us.a...k00roehgoog.pdf

cheers
James
Hi I am new to leather working, Looking for ward to learning from all you pro's out there

#2 digdug18

digdug18

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Sewing, Firearms, Cooking, Cars, Modifying & Upgrading my Home. Occasionally breaking things. Good Ale's.
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Jackass of all trades
  • Interested in learning about:Shoe making, both cobbling, last making, and forming from lasts. As well as packs, wallets, etc.
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:google

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:25 PM

Hi Folks for any one who whats to build a stitching pony plans for one can be found in this pdf book starting on page 98 to 104 http://ia700307.us.a...k00roehgoog.pdf

cheers
James

I think that is the most uncomfortable looking stiching pony I've ever seen.

#3 Bluesman

Bluesman

Leatherworker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Interests:Anything which gives me a feeling of accomplishment.
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Guitar straps, Belts and Football Gear
  • Interested in learning about:All facets of leather working

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:58 PM

Thank you for the plans

Jon
If it ain't moving and should......WD40, If it's moving and shouldn't....Duct Tape. There you have it, now fix something

#4 Tinneal

Tinneal

• Contributing Member
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Interests:Agriculture, horses, cowboy culture...
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Harnesses, saddle repair, custom work in many other areas...
  • Interested in learning about:Saddle, harness, and everything else!
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:Google

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:42 PM

Thanks for the pattern! This one is a bit bare bones... You can tell materials would not have been terribly plentiful when these plans were created, but useful nonetheless! I have a friend who has a wood shop in his basement, and said I can make a stitching pony for myself. I've been compiling pictures and measurements from various patterns, and I think I'm getting close to being ready to start.

Any suggestions on what makes a good 'pony'?

For more examples of my work, please check out my Facebook Portfolio!

#5 Grizhicks

Grizhicks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:27 PM

here's an update version; very similar - Stitching Horse

#6 Eve

Eve

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Leather Working, Accessories making, and Tailoring
  • Leatherwork Specialty:N/A
  • Interested in learning about:Handmade shoes and handbag
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:found you in google

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:03 AM

Thanks for sharing, I did try to ask my Mother make me a stitching horse or pony for me by looking at the plan, guess what my mother said:" I will sponsor you $100USD so you can buy one from Japan." >.<!

Making stitching horse or pony by ourselves is not going to happen in Singapore or Hong Kong >.<! Because we canít find the right material or tools for it.

Ps. We can't even find any leather shop here in Singapore ... sigh...

How do the leather working class do here in Singapore, the teacher will bring the students to Hong Kong and make a one stop group shopping in Sumshupo for leather and accessories, very sad yeah?

(and yes I brought the pony from Japan >.<)

#7 bluesman1951

bluesman1951

Leatherworker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Interests:making bags,blues music,zydeco music ,cooking,Teaching leather ,Ball room dancing , Braiding and lacing ,leather brief cases ,
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Bags
  • Interested in learning about:everything to do with leather and life
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:surfing the web

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:34 PM

Send me a email and Ill show you a comfortable stitching horse I just had made for me . Bluesman1951@hotmail.com .This horse is going to out last me by a 100 years . yes they are for sale . Bill

I think that is the most uncomfortable looking stiching pony I've ever seen.

#8 bluesman1951

bluesman1951

Leatherworker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Interests:making bags,blues music,zydeco music ,cooking,Teaching leather ,Ball room dancing , Braiding and lacing ,leather brief cases ,
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Bags
  • Interested in learning about:everything to do with leather and life
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:surfing the web

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:39 PM

Hi before you start let me show you one I just had made . Size limits will not let me post the picture here . Send me a email at : bluesman1951@hotmail.com and Ill send you some pictures of the one I just had custom made . This one will outlast me by 100 years and be fought over when I am gone . Its a last a life time tool . If you are interested send me a email and I will send you a bunch of pictures . Bluesman1951

Thanks for the pattern! This one is a bit bare bones... You can tell materials would not have been terribly plentiful when these plans were created, but useful nonetheless! I have a friend who has a wood shop in his basement, and said I can make a stitching pony for myself. I've been compiling pictures and measurements from various patterns, and I think I'm getting close to being ready to start.

Any suggestions on what makes a good 'pony'?

#9 Tree Reaper

Tree Reaper

Leatherworker.net Regular

• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts
  • Interests:Tree work- Logging and sawing - leather work
  • Leatherwork Specialty:making mistakes
  • Interested in learning about:making fewer mistakes
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:search for carving an oak leaf

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:31 PM

This is what I made to clamp in a Black and Decker Work Mate.
When the work is done it gets put in a corner.

Attached File  stitching pony.JPG   23.66KB   368 downloads

#10 prc77ro

prc77ro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:Leather Carving, Hand Tooling, Knife sheaths, Holsters, Footwear, Inlays, Custom Leatherworks
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Holsters, Spur Leathers
  • Interested in learning about:Hand Carving, Color Dye Techniques, Saddle and Tack
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:Searching for Custom Knife Sheath Making/ Using leather Dyes and Finishes

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:34 AM

In Al Stolhman's The Art of Hand Sewing Leather, there is a layout on the last 3 pages of the book. I'm in the process of building mine, just waiting on the latigo strap and some buckles. The entire 1/4 horse as it's called can be built for $60 or less depending on your materials.
C:\Users\1040271933V\Pictures\Makers Mark.png

#11 David8386

David8386

Leatherworker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

Thanks for posting it James. The book was fun to look through.

David

#12 JollyJ

JollyJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Love to handcraft jewelry and after 35 years away, I'm beginning to work with leather again. Woo hoo!
  • Leatherwork Specialty:I wish; maybe someday...
  • Interested in learning about:Old products still around and new products that have replaced them

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

I know I am late to this party but thought you might like to see an original. I bought this leather horse, as I call it, when I was doing leatherwork in Montana in the late 1970s. At the time it was an antique, and now, 35 years later, it is still doing the job and doing it well. You can see that I currently have rope holding the legs in place because I take it apart to carry it to shows where I demonstrate handstitching. One poster here thought the plans for the horse looked very uncomfortable but I can tell you that I can sit on this horse for 8 hours or more and be perfectly comfortable.

#13 CyleTipton

CyleTipton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

I know I am late to this party but thought you might like to see an original. I bought this leather horse, as I call it, when I was doing leatherwork in Montana in the late 1970s. At the time it was an antique, and now, 35 years later, it is still doing the job and doing it well. You can see that I currently have rope holding the legs in place because I take it apart to carry it to shows where I demonstrate handstitching. One poster here thought the plans for the horse looked very uncomfortable but I can tell you that I can sit on this horse for 8 hours or more and be perfectly comfortable.

Have you ever thought about drawing up some plans for you stitching pony? I am also a woodworker and would love building one.

#14 JollyJ

JollyJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Love to handcraft jewelry and after 35 years away, I'm beginning to work with leather again. Woo hoo!
  • Leatherwork Specialty:I wish; maybe someday...
  • Interested in learning about:Old products still around and new products that have replaced them

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

Have you ever thought about drawing up some plans for you stitching pony? I am also a woodworker and would love building one.

Actually, the plans in the document at the top of this thread are pretty close. Mine has two sets of rungs on the legs but otherwise looks like it might do the trick.

#15 LoneWolf1973

LoneWolf1973

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Leather work
  • Interested in learning about:Anything
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:Google

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:02 PM

I found this pattern for a stitching pony.  It was actually pretty easy to build.  The hardware ran me about $6 and the lumber and leather I already had as scraps.  I built this and I have used it allot.  The only problem I ran into is being in the USA I am not used to using metric measurements but it worked out.

http://thecraftycoup...stitching-pony/